Explorer Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had front axles and driveshaft unhooked for 6 years. Gained 2 miles to the gallon and rides nicer.
I don't need 4.4. Has 4.0 engine that runs fine and the rear has been rebuilt.
Trans is old and would like to replace with a 4x2 trans and remove old trans and transfer case.
Will a 4x2 trans hook up the same to the 4.0 and if so what trans and driveshaft would I need. I now the driveshaft will need a front yoke.
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Assuming you've got a 5r55e Transmission?
Not expert; as I understand, 5r55e 4x2\4x4 Tranny tail shafts are Different+NonInterchangable.
Mating to engine is not the issue, just need a Tranny made 2001 or later that has ISS+OSS sensors for your computer. If you remove 4x4 5r55e Tranny + 1354 TransferCase + 4x4 DriveShafts, think youll need a 2001\Later 4x2 5r55e Tranny & a new rear 4x2 DriveShaft. Not sure what if any issues this may create with the PCM computer logic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Assuming you've got a 5r55e Transmission?
Not expert; as I understand, 5r55e 4x2\4x4 Tranny tail shafts are Different+NonInterchangable.
Mating to engine is not the issue, just need a Tranny made 2001 or later that has ISS+OSS sensors for your computer. If you remove 4x4 5r55e Tranny + 1354 TransferCase + 4x4 DriveShafts, think youll need a 2001\Later 4x2 5r55e Tranny & a new rear 4x2 DriveShaft. Not sure what if any issues this may create with the PCM computer logic.
Thank you for the information. My big worry is if the 4x2 trans will bolt up to the engine the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Soooo, now does anyone know what kind of computer problems I would have and how to solve them. Will I get 4x4 errors or Check engine errors. How can I disconnect or what will be needed if I install a 4x2 trans and driveshaft.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.