Explorer Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 Ford Explorer will stop in traffic, the oil level light comes on as low, then, the vehicle engine power cuts off. This could happen once a week, once every two weeks, or twice a day and then not again for a week. I turn off the ignition, restart it and go. I had the oil changed. I had a new oil reset button put in. No one can see the problem because it doesn’t happen when being testing-it hasn’t yet. It’s a mystery? Please help?

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 2005 Ford Explorer will stop in traffic, the oil level light comes on as low, then, the vehicle engine power cuts off. This could happen once a week, once every two weeks, or twice a day and then not again for a week. I turn off the ignition, restart it and go. I had the oil changed. I had a new oil reset button put in. No one can see the problem because it doesn’t happen when being testing-it hasn’t yet. It’s a mystery? Please help?

My guess is that your engine idle speed is too low. Lots of possible reasons. You likely have a vacuum leak that is too big for the engine computer to compensate. You need to take it to a qualified mechanic. Running it as it is could destroy the engine if it is running so slowly that it is not generating needed oil pressure.

You do not say how many miles on this beast, if the oil is at the proper level, if it burns oil etc. So many things could be behind this. Is the check engine light on?

Astrobuf

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check the vacuum hose and assembly that runs from the PCV valve to the intake. There are two 90 degree rubber hoses. The one that is right against the intake manifold (aft of the throttle body) is notorious for deteriorating and cracking. My 2003 V 4.6L was also running rough and low RPM. I replaced the PCV valve and followed the entire assembly. Sure as rain, the 90 degree hose that went from the cross-engine pipe to the intake manifold had a crink hole in it. I didn't have another one available but did have a combination of Flex Glue / Flex Tape and Gorilla Tape.

Took a little while after I degreased the fitting so everything would stick, but I plugged the hole with the Flex Glue (but you can use most any regular rubber cement). Then wrapped the middle of the hose with the Flex Tape which is really sticky from experience. Then to insure that all was held in place and sealed, I wrapped the entire 90 degree bend with a few pieces of the Gorilla Tape.

I knew it was a temp quick fix but it fixed the problem. It runs fine now and I'm going to look for a replacement 90 degree hose (it looks like it's about 1/2 inch I/D) and the next time I have the engine compartment open and the shroud off, I'll take some time to cut out the bad hose and put in the new one. But as long as the RPM's are still in the 750-800 range (as per the specs) I was amazed that my McGuiever fix actually worked. Being a vacuum hose and not under outwards pressure, I figured that just plugging it and wrapping it would work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts