Explorer Talk banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have a 2007 Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC Explorer with 204k. A couple of days ago it starting this loud ticking noise (sounds just like a diesel engine) when I started it up, sound does not go away. Cut it off immediately and started doing some research found videos on YouTube of plenty of other explorers making the same noise. Those were all timing chain guides. My sound appears to be coming from the drivers side front valve cover. I know if its the rear the engine has to be pulled to be replaced. I replaced the valve cover gaskets 6months ago and there is no sludge In the engine and at that time the chains and guides looked fine. I replaced the front timing tensioner tonight but it didn’t solve anything as the one in actually worked fine. So I’m taking it to get it looked at tomorrow and wondering what is involved in replacing the front guides If that is the problem? Can the guides be replaced with just the valve covers off or do the front engine accessories need to be removed as well? Any idea what this might cost me? Thanks in advance

1 - 1 of 1 Posts