Explorer Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,i have 08 explorer 4.6 it has that noise since 80k miles,currently has 125k it is bothering ,it is not the exhaust manifold,it sound metallic,constant tapping or rattling it is more on the pass side,engine is quiet when hot,no miss, no cel,i popped the valve cover ,did not see anything obvious
here is the link
20210203_222537.mp4

·
Registered
25 Posts
hey guys,i have 08 explorer 4.6 it has that noise since 80k miles,currently has 125k it is bothering ,it is not the exhaust manifold,it sound metallic,constant tapping or rattling it is more on the pass side,engine is quiet when hot,no miss, no cel,i popped the valve cover ,did not see anything obvious
here is the link
20210203_222537.mp4
Your video file does not play. My guess is the noise is your vvt gear. Little odd though, normally it is the driver side cam phaser that is first to become noisy. Prepare forca stiff biill about $2000. Do not let anyone do it, if that is what's needed, and not usevFord parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your video file does not play. My guess is the noise is your vvt gear. Little odd though, normally it is the driver side cam phaser that is first to become noisy. Prepare forca stiff biill about $2000. Do not let anyone do it, if that is what's needed, and not usevFord parts.
but the thing is they usually make noise when hot not cold,here is the link

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link. That worked.

That does not sound like a phaser. Actually sounds like valve train noise. A couple of bad roller rockers? Did this engine get low on oil? Dud it get too hot?
it is actually burning oil through the pcv but i stay on top of it until i change the valve cover,i'm leaning toward the valve train too,it doesn't really sound like the timing chain since all the guide are there.should i replace all of the lifters and rockers?

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is an ovethead valvd engine. There really aren't lifters like you would expect in a push rod engine.

Usually you can see which roller rocker is roached. I suggest you watch the YouTuber Ford Tech Makuloco. His stuff is amazing. He has one video specifically on point for your issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is an ovethead valvd engine. There really aren't lifters like you would expect in a push rod engine.

Usually you can see which roller rocker is roached. I suggest you watch the YouTuber Ford Tech Makuloco. His stuff is amazing. He has one video specifically on point for your issue.

thanks man for the info

1 - 7 of 7 Posts