Explorer Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 AC decided to crap out today. Pressure switch is good, but the compressor clutch/pulley looks to have some black tar like substance coming out of it... I found a replacement clutch assembly on rock auto for a much more reasonable price than replacing the complete compressor... Has any one got any experience changing just the clutch assembly? Any tips or tricks? The replacement part number is YB3184.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Tar seems strange, I could understand if the bearing seal failed and it leaked grease but if it's more like tar I would would take a really close look at the belt and replace it if there's grease soaked in.

Can't help you with tips or tricks, I haven't had to do one of those on a 3.5L EB. Is it up near the top? If not it may be easier to jack it up, and/or remove a wheel and wheel well liner.

What were the symptoms, did the A/C not come on (get cold, clutch just wouldn't engage) or make a racket, or bearing drag caused the engine to bog down or throw or shred the belt?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AC just started blowing hot. No intermittent issues, it just went. Compressor is on the bottom of the engine towards the front. Liner and tire both had to come off to access the front of the compressor. The belt is fine, no damage or saturation. I'd guess it's more like melted plastic rather than tar, may have just had the tar like feel because it was still semi hot and hadn't cooled down when I tore it down. I've changed clutches on other vehicles, but this clutch looked really strange to me in comparison (could also be something missing that I'm not aware of).

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, My 2014 sport has a bad bearing on the clutch hub and I ordered the same kit from rockauto, I was searching for any sort of guide on replacing it and stumbled upon this thread. Did you end up getting it changed out? Was it pretty easy?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a heads up in case someone stumbles upon this in the future.. the clutch kit was pretty straight forward to put in, remove the bolt on the end and slide the friction disc off, remove snap ring and slide pulley off, remove the second snap ring and slide the coil off. I didn’t replace that little bracket that came in the kit as it didn’t seem like a wear item. Put all together in reverse order and then make sure to put enough washers in between the pulley and friction disc so that it just barely spins freely (spec is like 10 thousandths). I just put in 1 washer at a time until it didn’t make noise when I spun it.

It turned out my bearing wasn’t bad but the pulley had started to rust on the inside and was rubbing on the coil

1 - 5 of 5 Posts