Explorer Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the 2nd time in 3 years that I have had to take this in to get the a/c looked at. The 1st time it was under warranty so they replaced the whole rear a/c unit...or so they said...now 3 years later we start getting warm weather again in early June...I'm in northern Ontario, Canada...and yup...no air. The warm weather comes and goes here...frost warning last week lol...anyway I took it in today and they said it was THE SAME problem! They wanted $1200+tax to do it!
Just wondering if these editions of the Explorer are notorious for this problem! Luckily, we only have a couple of months of hot weather up here so I can always drive with the window down. It will be paid for next September so thinking seriously of selling it next spring and go back to a GM vehicle. We miss our old GMC Envoy. That vehicle was GREAT!
Cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is the 2nd time in 3 years that I have had to take this in to get the a/c looked at. The 1st time it was under warranty so they replaced the whole rear a/c unit...or so they said...now 3 years later we start getting warm weather again in early June...I'm in northern Ontario, Canada...and yup...no air. The warm weather comes and goes here...frost warning last week lol...anyway I took it in today and they said it was THE SAME problem! They wanted $1200+tax to do it!
Just wondering if these editions of the Explorer are notorious for this problem! Luckily, we only have a couple of months of hot weather up here so I can always drive with the window down. It will be paid for next September so thinking seriously of selling it next spring and go back to a GM vehicle. We miss our old GMC Envoy. That vehicle was GREAT!
Cheers
Yes it is a common problem. At this point, your best bet is a block off plate. No more rear ac, but significant cost savings. Doubt you would miss the rear cooling.

Ford used crappy aluminum tubing attached to the sub frame side rails to deliver the refrigerant to the rear evaporator. Esp in snow bound states, salt initiated corrosion destroys these lines. The rear evaporator itself is prone to ingesting salt spray, so it too rots. You have to replace everything.

Astrobuf

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is a common problem. At this point, your best bet is a block off plate. No more rear ac, but significant cost savings. Doubt you would miss the rear cooling.

Ford used crappy aluminum tubing attached to the sub frame side rails to deliver the refrigerant to the rear evaporator. Esp in snow bound states, salt initiated corrosion destroys these lines. The rear evaporator itself is prone to ingesting salt spray, so it too rots. You have to replace everything.

Astrobuf
I jacked the vehicle up to get a good look at these "rotted out lines" and after I rubbed the grime off the lines I couldn't see anything wrong at all...they were SHINING!!! I saw a video on YouTube that showed a mechanic just installing a gasket kit at the evaporator and recharging the system. Could it be as simple as THAT? I do like the blocking plate idea though! Can these be ordered by the mechanic? Are these a prefab part with a part number? Cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
I jacked the vehicle up to get a good look at these "rotted out lines" and after I rubbed the grime off the lines I couldn't see anything wrong at all...they were SHINING!!! I saw a video on YouTube that showed a mechanic just installing a gasket kit at the evaporator and recharging the system. Could it be as simple as THAT? I do like the blocking plate idea though! Can these be ordered by the mechanic? Are these a prefab part with a part number? Cheers
The block off plates are avail as a kit. Most every refrigeration mechanic will order them from their usual parts sources.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts