Explorer Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm struggling to find a thorough/highly-detailed guide for disassembling parts of the vehicle (obviously the manual is useless and the new cars nowadays seem built to force you to refer to the dealer). Simply put: I'm trying to take off the front grill to take out the headlights and add two aftermarket hide-a-way emergency lights inside the highlight unit but I cannot even find a YouTube video on how to access the front headlight. I got all the top bolts off (top of grill and top of headlights) and read someone that you more of less have to just pull the grill out, but it seemed to be still very secure toward the bottom.

I'm also going to need some kind of guide when it comes to finding the best place to pass a wire through my firewall and into the passenger's compartment. Any links to videos and literature would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Pass a wire? You can drill a hole *anywhere*, just make sure of what's directly on the other side, and have it in sleeving and/or rubber grommet so sharp metal doesn't damage the wire insulation. Otherwise pick the nearest existing hole to where you're going with it.

You may have to take off the colored bumper top trim piece to access lower bolts. Whether you have to take out wheel well liners to do that, I don't know, take each bolt in turn till it's loose enough.

Keep in mind that I have no idea what hide a way emergency lights are. Seems sort of like a gimmick to me. Anyway if you're looking for videos, I wouldn't just focus on 2017 year or sport, rather any current gen model year for any "Explorer". There might be some seller of aftermarket headlight assemblies that has instructions to help on their website or included with product.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts