Explorer Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up everyone ,

I just got my New wheels in yesterday. I'm very excited to put them on tommorow morning. They are 20x9 inch Helo Skids. With 275/45/20 Goodyear Eagle GT2 tires. I have a couple questions For the guys who run this combo of rim size and tire on their explorers.

How Is this setup working for you as far as ride quality and handling vs the stock wheels.

Do you experience Any rubbing on your lowered vehicles with the 20s , if so How much did you have to raise it ?.

I went to the tire calculator website and it says that the 275/45/20 are 29.74 inches tall , and that my stock 255/70/16 are - 30.06 inches tall.

can anyone verify this ?

Any Info would be greatly appreciated...

thanks very much,

Nick -

http://members.cardomain.com/timestandstil77

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
i run this setup, and i actually wanted those exact wheels but didnt work out, the overall height is basically the same so you will have no problem with the speedometer, mine is not lowered so im not sure about that part

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
As far as rubbing, which you will have, either you'll have to adjust the steering limiter or run spacers. I run 275/55/17 Cobra R's, and I have to get spacers for every wheel (which I actually am ordering today).

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Is that because you are lowered that you have to get spacers? I'm planning on getting the same wheels in spring is why I ask.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
No that wouldn't have anything to do with it (i'm pretty positive) because its the width of the tire. It rubs against the front swaybar when you turn the wheel all the way to the left or right.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Oh, I see. What would the width of yours be in inches? Is that 17 X 9?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
i could be wrong but i think it measured almost 10 inches in width...stock was 6

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Ah, that makes sense then. I think the ones I'm looking to get are 17 X 8 so I might be all right without spacers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I get a little rubbing , but i just learned not to turn all the way. i am shaky about those spacers!

nick

ps - the wheels are awsome, handles great, and it rides awsome! i am so happy , pics are coming soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts