Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the stupidest question ever. How can you tell whether an Explorer has All Wheel Drive or 2WD. I have a friend who has a '98 XLT V8 and when driven, it sounds like it has anything but 2WD. Is there a hidden switch? I'm curious because Subaru has AWD, but no apparent/visible switch.I know these are two entirely different vehicles.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
It's full time AWD so there wouldn't be a switch. I seem to remember seeing an 'AWD' badge on Explorers before but I could be wrong. Other than that, the owners manual would tell you, I guess.

Actually, drive it, get the tires wet, and peel out and see if all the wheels spin.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
The badges on the side should say V8 All-Wheel Drive. If they don't then it's 2WD. You can also look under the vehicle and see if there is a transfer-case, front differential, and front drive shaft.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
The badges on the side should say V8 All-Wheel Drive. ?If they don't then it's 2WD. ?You can also look under the vehicle and see if there is a transfer-case, front differential, and front drive shaft.
Note that was only on 95-97 Explorers with the AWD badging.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Ahh...thanks for pointing that out. I thought they changed the badges in '99. In that case, take a gander at the underside.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Ahh...thanks for pointing that out. ?I thought they changed the badges in '99. ?In that case, take a gander at the underside.

'98

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Couldnt you just look at the switch right next to the radio?
:

AWD doesn't have a switch. It requires no flipping of switches because it's full-time.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I was thinking of the X that you can change between settings of 4WD as opposed to mine where you change between 2WD and 4WD. Man am I confused!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I was thinking of the X that you can change between settings of 4WD as opposed to mine where you change between 2WD and 4WD. Man am I confused!

See with my Sport, I have 4WD all the time. 4WD Auto all the time, and then I can select to turn it into 4WD Hi or 4WD Lo...but I have NO option to change it into 2WD. I'd only be able to do that if I did the brown wire modification..which I don't want to do.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Ok, so theres some X's that switch between 2WD and 4WD like mine, theres some X's that change betweeen settings of 4WD like yours and theres some X's that have AWD? Did I get that right?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Ok, so theres some X's that switch between 2WD and 4WD like mine, theres some X's that change betweeen settings of 4WD like yours and theres some X's that have AWD? Did I get that right?

That's correct. Like in my 99 V8 4-Door, there are NO switches for ANYTHING. It's constant AWD. The only thing you can turn on or off is overdrive.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Ok, I gotcha
In my friend's Expedition theres a switch that you can switch between 2WD, 4WD hi/low and AWD. Whats up with that?

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Those are the new Expys with 2WD, A4WD, 4Hi, and 4Lo. The A4WD setting is a 2WD setting but when the rear-end slips the front kicks in automatically. It's not a AWD setting.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Those are the new Expys with 2WD, A4WD, 4Hi, and 4Lo. ?The A4WD setting is a 2WD setting but when the rear-end slips the front kicks in automatically. ?It's not a AWD setting.
I see. This Expy is not new though. I think its a 97 or so.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The "A4WD" setting is the same as "4x4Auto" on 3rd gen Explorers. Under normal conditions, it sends 5% of the power to the front wheels from startup to about 30 mph, then it goes to 100% rear wheel drive unless slippage is detected. To confuse it even more, 3rd gens are now available with 4WD OR AWD.

So many choices, and sometimes different names for the same thing, so you never know what the heck is going on!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Ok, I gotcha
In my friend's Expedition theres a switch that you can switch between 2WD, 4WD hi/low and AWD. Whats up with that?
Yep I had a Supercrew F-150 as a loaner from the Ford dealership when my Explorer was in there getting the transfer case replaced, and it had the same options. I kept it in 2WD and peeled out and burned rubber around every single corner. I'm surprised I never got a ticket.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
[..]

Yep I had a Supercrew F-150 as a loaner from the Ford dealership when my Explorer was in there getting the transfer case replaced, and it had the same options. I kept it in 2WD and peeled out and burned rubber around every single corner. I'm surprised I never got a ticket.

Now that's how you're supposed to drive!!

I laid down some rubber in the Target parking lot today away from other cars. All I did was take a turn at ~20MPH but there is something about that asphalt that made the tires scream and leave tread. It was from the front driver's side too. Weird but I had a good feeling knowing that I left some Michelin tread there.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
[..]

Now that's how you're supposed to drive!!

I laid down some rubber in the Target parking lot today away from other cars. All I did was take a turn at ~20MPH but there is something about that asphalt that made the tires scream and leave tread. It was from the front driver's side too. Weird but I had a good feeling knowing that I left some Michelin tread there.
I keep forgetting you have the 2WD. That's sweet man. Burnouts are fun.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
No it wasn't a burn out. I didn't even lay rubber with the rear tires. It was the front driver's side while making a sharp right turn while giving it a bit of gas. Most fun I've ever had. I'll definately have to go back and see if I can do a burnout or at least lay some rubber from the rear tires.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts