Explorer Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your color will be harder for them to match being 3 stage but if you look close at some of the oem parts (handles and tailgate trim) you will notice they dont match perfectly. I know my tailgate and handle cover are way off from the factory.

I know what you mean. My tailgate doesn't match worth a darn. And I think its starting to yellow, which is a known issue with light colors. I think they might be repainting it in the spring.

I know EE is concerned about making sure people are happy with the paint matching. John declined to paint a billet fuel door for me, thinking I'd better get it done locally just to be sure.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I know what you mean. My tailgate doesn't match worth a darn. And I think its starting to yellow, which is a known issue with light colors. I think they might be repainting it in the spring. ?

Question, when you say tailgate do you mean the entire rear hatch/door, or do you mean just the handle? If its the entire rear door/hatch, then man that is one hell of a problem.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[..]

Question, when you say tailgate do you mean the entire rear hatch/door, or do you mean just the handle? If its the entire rear door/hatch, then man that is one hell of a problem.

Rob:

Its the whole lift gate. I think there was a service bulletin about it. The "sheet molding compound" or whichever non-metallic material they're making the gate out of, was known to take paint a little differently, or there was a bunch of them that didn't get all the mold release off or something. Anyway, there's been quite a few cases, particularly on light colors, of the gate not matching well, or of it starting to yellow after a while.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
[..]

Rob:

Its the whole lift gate. I think there was a service bulletin about it. The "sheet molding compound" or whichever non-metallic material they're making the gate out of, was known to take paint a little differently, or there was a bunch of them that didn't get all the mold release off or something. Anyway, there's been quite a few cases, particularly on light colors, of the gate not matching well, or of it starting to yellow after a while.

That is the same part on mine that dosn't quite match, same with the door handles, I wonder if it is because of the material being different(smc), I also believe that those parts are painted in a different area/plant, usually the bumpers are the same way, the company that makes the bumper covers paint them and what ever paint they use sure stays on them really good, they can never be repainted and hold up like the original's do

(main reason that I didnt monotone mine)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
You know I told him that he could just order a new hood for himself, since they don't make one for me this was my option. He said that would be great, however, at $600 to $700 this is a great solution and still looks good. I guess he is actually right and placing it on his truck does look good. Maybe I'll just order him one as well....

That's funny that you guys are memtioning about lighter colors and problems with paint. I also am having troubles and it's black. Someone has told me that with the newer models they are using a different type of paint...not as good and that is what is causing a lot of problems. I have several spots in my hood that appear to be bubbling kinda....also on the drivers side posts between the front and rear doors about 3 to 4" down on each post is doing the same thing.

Something is sounding fishy here guys....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts