Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 ford explorer xlt with just 450 miles on it. I have the 4.0 L SOHC V6 and the other day I was adding some windshield washer fluid with the engine running when i noticed that it rattled almost like a diesel engine. The car runs great and has good acceleration and power. Is this rattling normal or is it a serious problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Wow, with only 450 miles on it and the rattling that you mentioned, yeah thats a problem. I'd take it to the dealership or a local trust auto shop ASAP. It might be as simple as a problem with your mass air flow sensor, IAC, or some sort of intake problem. WHY at only 450 miles is beyond me but you never know. Good luck with this and be sure to let us what the deal was.

BTW, Welcome to ExplorerX!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Welcome. I have the 4.0 and mine doesnt have any kind of rattle, it's got @8000 miles, I would have the dealer check it out, that doesnt sound very good

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I talked to a few people on another forum and they have the same noise. The diesel noise isnt that loud; you can only hear it with the hood open and even then its a light noise. Are you sure that its a problem? Just check again and confirm that yours doesnt make any noise at all because apparently many people have the same noise with their x's.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I still agree with the folks in your thread on FXN that it might be the timing chain.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I will check it out tomarrow and let you know if mine makes any noise.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
So brad did it make any noise?

I checked mine this morning and again after work, I dont hear any noise comming from the engine itself, I can hear a slight noise on the right side of the engine and it appears to be from a pulley or belt, nothing internal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another thing i just noticed is that i have the FFV version of the V6 which means it can run on part ethanol fuel. I also checked up on the updates for the 2004 explorer and there are new engine components which could explain the light diesel noise coming from the engine. Do you (dwtc) have the FFV version SOHC or the normal version?

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
yes, mine is the ffe also. How loud is youre noise? I have a windstar that rattles when I accelerate, not while sitting still, it has the 3.8 and from what I have been told it is normal, my friend had a 4.0 Ranger that rattled, the dealer told him that it was normal, I had a 99 ranger with the 4.0 and it never made any noise, who knows anymore with the way they make vehicles !

I think you should have it checked out, just to make sure it is ok or "normal" if nothing else you will have it on record that you were in for a noise, in case you have problems later down the road.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My noise is just a light steady rattling/diesel sound. You can only hear it with the hood open so its not that loud. This is why Im leaning away from the timing chain problem. Usually you get the rattling when you accelerate and its loud if you have a b ad timing chain/tensioner.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I don't have the '04 or the V6 but I have to agree with the rest of the guys....take it to the dealer and get it on record
?That way is anything comes up it will be on file. ?Sure can't hurt anything and can only make it better.

I second that, have it check out.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im filing for the Lemon Law, Im sick of my 2004 ford explorer with 500 miles. Its had a shitload of problems and I am going to sue ford on top of the lemon law for giving me a completely defective 35,000 dollar product. I hate ford and as soon as i dump the POS im in possession of now, I am going to buy a gmc envoy as i know many people who have them and have not had a single problem. I always thought that people were exagerating and putting down ford when they said that they were junk so i decided to give ford a chance. BIG MISTAKE. I hope all of you hard working people ditch your fords. I dont care how reliable they have been for you so far. Sooner or later your ford is going to have a major problem and its going to come out of your pocket yet again.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Well we all know that every company has problems with some of their vehicles. You just got a bad one. I don't think it's worth suing Ford over but whatever. I'm sure I'll have "lots" of problems with my Ford since my '95 had none and neither does my '03. Yeah I'm really going to ditch Ford. Enjoy your GMC. :roll:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
First off I think you are a phoney and you don't even own a Ford!!!!!!!

If you think that a GMC is a better product than more power to you, that's exactly why you see so many of them on the road right
Everyplace you look is another GMC.....Please give us a break, 500 miles and your ditching it after the problems you mentioned here...we are not stupid.

Good luck and may your Envoy work better for you than many other people.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow excuse me dude wanna bet? Want me to take a pic of my ford standing next to it with a sign saying who i am? I guess i will to satisfy u. And by the way the result of the rattle was a blown cylinder which the dealer says requires a new engine. And to add to that, I had my serpentine belt replaced and my water pump replaced so dont open ur mouth and just assume that the two major problems i mentioned here are all that i had with the explorer.

P.S. I dont know about you but I certainly work hard for the 35K i invest in a vehicle so seeing u support ford over a dude who has invested 35K into a a vehicle that needs a new engine within 500 miles shows me that u have no value for money. :roll:

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I'm curious, why don't you just have the dealer get you a new vehicle. I know people that have done it before. One guy had a valve get stuck open on his V6 Escape and got Ford to replace the vehicle. I suggest at least trying to get a new vehicle before jumping over to GMC. Also, please back off on the attitude.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I already asked for a replacement and they refused. And please dont tell me to back off on the attitude when one of your longer members accuses me of wasting my time and lying about problems with a 35K vehicle. As if I have nothing better to do.

P.S. that GMC comment was just out of frustration. Ill most likely get a Toyota 4Runner or Volvo XC90. No more american makes for me.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Thats too bad that you got a bad one, there are a few out there. My last Ford was a problem vehicle and they wouldnt buy it back, I didnt push the issue becaues the fixed all of the problems even thought there were many! I just finally got fed up and took the loss and traded it in on my Explorer. I have had many new Fords and have only had 2 with problems. I now that you are frustrated about the hole thing, I know I would be pissed but I dont think coming on here and bashing Ford is going to get you anywhere.

Most of the people on here like there vehicles and are not going to "ditch there Fords" I think it's too bad that you got a bad vehicle, but 1 bad vehicle doesnt make them all bad. Good luck with the lemon law, I dont know how youre state is but my state says that you have to have the vehicle in for repairs 3 times on the exact same problem before the lemon law applies.

Good luck with youre next vehicle, and you are right that $35,000 is alot for a new vehice, all of the new vehicles are way over priced. You might want to cross out the Volvo XC90 off youre list...............Ford owns Volvo.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts