Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8O

This sucks.

My Clarion touch screen video head unit went all wacky on me again last Friday. After resetting it several times, I got it back running again. But this morning I dropped it off at the shop, because I really need to find out why its doing this. I was hoping for a bad connection somewhere, or am intermittent ground connection, or something simple like this.

So, I just called them. Went something like this

ME: What'd you find out about th unit in my truck

THEM: The Explorer?

ME: Yup.

THEM: Well, we figured out its something in the unit and we have to send it in for service.

ME: Crap. How long does that usually take.

THEM: Oh, usually about 4 to 6 weeks, depnding on their workload.

BANG!!! That was the sound of my jaw hitting the floor.

And oh, let's see. Can't just stick the stock unit back in - it has no pre-outs, and besides, all the wiring is led to under the passenger seat where the brains (or lack thereof) are located.

NOT COOL. Just not cool at all.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You could run the stock h/u without the amps temporarily and run the wires from the "brain" to the stock h/u. That's what I would do because 4-6 weeks is a long time, not to mention that if they tell you 4-6, it will easily be 6-8 weeks.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm gonna have to jury rig something. I spend a lot of time in my car, and I can't sing worth a damn, and polite conversation only goes so far.

My iPAQ is also a 1GB MP3 player, but it has a single 3/4" speaker, and it wouldn't really be fair to anyone else in the car to wear headphones.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Wow and I thought it was bad a week without my Pioneer. Man that sucks. I put my stock one back in and after a couple days I was missing the nice bass. Hopefully the wait will be worth it and you won't have any more problems.

Something I think is funny is the people at the stereo shop ask me the same thing.

Them: "You have the Explorer right?"

Me: "Yup."

Funny that they know us by our trucks.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, when I went to pick it up, the manager of the shop, who seemed to sense my distress, told me that he thought it should probably should be back within a couple of weeks. So, maybe not so bad.

I can just stare at the gaping hole in the dash, and pretend that I sent a bunch of stuff to Phoenix Imaging for carbon fiber dipping

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
That really sucks, I would go nuts (well more nuts) without any sound in the vehicle, good luck and hopefully it wont take too long to get youre h/u back

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Well you could always listen to the engine for the tunes. Just take off from stop lights quickly the next couple weeks and listen to that beautiful exhaust note.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Man, I have been without any subs since November (I have no real intention of adding bass until at least the summer), and without ANY music since the beginning of January (January 3rd to be exact). And to be honest, I'm sooo used to it by now that I won't know what to do once I get all my interior pieces back from Phoenix Imaging so I can hook up my headunit again.

All I can say is, im an audiophile....and yet without music in my car for so long (especially the subs), it really makes you question why you ever got that system in the first place. But, I sure as hell will be glad once I can rock the music again.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well you could always listen to the engine for the tunes. ?Just take off from stop lights quickly the next couple weeks and listen to that beautiful exhaust note.

LOL I already have the whole family thinking I'm nuts when I roll the window down a little bit to listen to the exhaust. K&N intake makes some pretty good noises, too. And I can play ringtones on my cell phone.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
[..]

?
?LOL ?I already have the whole family thinking I'm nuts when I roll the window down a little bit to listen to the exhaust. ?K&N intake makes some pretty good noises, too. ?And I can play ringtones on my cell phone.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I haven't had any tunes for about 8 weeks now, thanks to the Phoenix Imaging group buy. You just get used to it after awhile. :roll:

Dude they totally are screwing us all over with how long it has been taking.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Rob I agree with you but didn't they have like a lot of pieces to do from the other FTW people that sent their stuff in? I'm sure they're busy but taking over a month is just plain insane. I wonder how many other people don't have their stuff back.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Rob I agree with you but didn't they have like a lot of pieces to do from the other FTW people that sent their stuff in? ?I'm sure they're busy but taking over a month is just plain insane. ?I wonder how many other people don't have their stuff back.

Supposedly a lot still are waiting. And yes they did get swamped with a ton of people and pieces from FTW. But you think they would've been able to accomodate the rapid increase in business. I mean you NEED to anticipate and prepare yourself for the most possible demand...

And only taking a month? Man I wish. Ted and I are going on 2 months....

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Oh wow I didn't realize it had been that long. That's terrible.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
jgt02expltd, Why not tell the audio shop to install something else, a stand in, untill you get yours back. ?That is common, that a good shop will do that anyway. ?You paid good money, probably too much even. ?So make them earn it with good service.

Thats a very good point and I second that notion.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jgt02expltd, Why not tell the audio shop to install something else, a stand in, untill you get yours back. ?That is common, that a good shop will do that anyway. ?You paid good money, probably too much even. ?So make them earn it with good service.

Last night, when I went to pick it up, I was intending to make a huge fuss, and get them to do something like rip the demo unit out of the shop wall and put in my truck. The manager, who I have had a few "discussions" with in the past, seemed to be prepared for the fact that I wouldn't be happy with the 4 to 6 week estimate the installer gave me. He seemed to be pretty confident that it really would be 2 weeks or less. I can live with that. Now, if he turns out to be full of crap, we will have a Come to Jesus session in a couple of weeks.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now, because they've always taken good care of me in the past. Which they should, because I DID pay more than I had to for this stuff, specifically so that I would have full factory warranties, and someplace to go to get things fixed if there were problems. If I had bought all this stuff on the Internet, and installed it myself, I'd be totally screwed, so I guess it sure could be a lot worse.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts