Explorer Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
WCEXPLODER
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the deal... Just unloaded my 96 Explorer Sport 2dr 4.0 5 speed off the trailer to attempt to tackle the trails at Interlake Park in Indiana. Was driving around the camp ground shaking things out. I had just replaced the front hubs a few days before and The Frog was running great! When I switched the selector to 4WD HIGH it shifted in fine, then stopped, shifted into neutral, stepped on the break and the clutch then switched to 4WD LOW. Indicator light on dash went on fine and it engaged into low gear but when I went to switch back into 4WD HIGH both the 4WD HIGH and 4WD LOW indicator lights began to flash and the transfer case would not switch back into high gear. I shut the thing down, connected an ODBII tester to the connector but did not get any codes so I disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes, connected it back up and tried it again. It was still stuck in 4WD LOW. I know it has something to do with either the 4WD switch on the dash, the transfer case relay or the selector motor on the transfer case. I just don't know which one. If someone has encountered this problem I could sure use the help. I don't want to waste a bunch of money just randomly changing parts. I found a ohm test for the switch and I plan to try that but what else could be the problem?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I doubt it's the dash switch because changing it made something happen. Check your owners manual for the relay locations, you probably have another of the same type relay and if the function of the other of the same type is not critical for the vehicle operation to attempt to switch back out of 4low, swap the two relays temporarily.

You can pull the selector motor off the transfer case to see if it is rotating when you turn the switch. You can use a multimeter to see if it's getting power when you try. You might be able to use a screwdriver or wrench to manually switch it back out of 4low for the time being if it has failed.

As far as the OBDII tester, that kind of tranny code is manufacturer specific, not a standard OBDII code. There "might" be some kind of code displayed by the # of times the lights flash but I don't know this to be true, just know that flashing can indicate some other codes.

Ultimately to code read this you might be able to hook up a Ford specific scan tool, maybe a wifi dongle with an Android (or PC/laptop) device running Forscan app... but you've already got a good idea, that it's probably the shift motor, or maybe offroading you damaged (or fouled the electric connector from water/mud/etc) the wire or connector to it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts