Explorer Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HEY GUYS CAN ANYONE GIVE ME AN IDEA OF WHAT WOULD BE INVOLVED IN GOING FROM A 4WD TO A 2WD SYSTEM IN MY 95XLT AUTOMATIC? I PLAN ON BAGGING MY TRUCK AND WAS TOLD THAT TO THE THE MOST DROP I WOULD NEED TO SWITCH TO 2WD

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Well, you'd have to take out the: transfer-case, CV-joints, driveshaft, and some other parts. IMO it would be a huge job but if you want your X bagged bad enough you'll do it. Not worth the labor IMO.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Apart from what's mentioned above, You'd need new spindles and new rotors, wheel bearings(and all the little extras in there nuts/grease caps/seal/etc). I'm not too sure about how to deal with the transfer case e.g. disconnecting it etc.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Leave the transfer case in and just remove the front driveshaft. If you really want to remove the transfer case you'll have to take the tranny to a shop and have a new output shaft put in, and get a new rear driveshaft. You could remove the switch from the dash easily so no one would even know you had it in there. Now if you wanting to lay the frame you'll probably have to take the x-fer case out since it hangs down (slightly) below the frame rails.

Good Luck

CP

·
Registered
9,243 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
come to Alabama and I will swap out front ends with you lol. I want 4x4

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
my 95 Explorer is 2WD unless I switch it into 4X4. So if yours is the same. Why change it?

No weight of front axle, less resistance without CV shafts, better mileage, you can lower it more........

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my 95 Explorer is 2WD unless I switch it into 4X4. So if yours is the same. Why change it?

i wanna airbag my truck and the front shafts are in the way

1 - 10 of 10 Posts