Explorer Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 XLT 4WD and I want to tow it behind my motor home 4wheels down on the ground. I was reading my manual and it has conflicting information. On 1 page is says you cannot tow a 4WD Explorer with 4 wheels on the ground, but the next page explains how to tow it with 4 wheels on the ground. I called Ford and I can’t get a straight answer so I thought I would ask here if anyone would know or has had the same experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I remember correctly, the conflicting pages have to be looked at closely. The page that talks about towing with four wheels on the ground is for emergency situations at very slow speed and short distances. Sold Fords for 42 years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2018 XLT 4WD and I want to tow it behind my motor home 4wheels down on the ground. I was reading my manual and it has conflicting information. On 1 page is says you cannot tow a 4WD Explorer with 4 wheels on the ground, but the next page explains how to tow it with 4 wheels on the ground. I called Ford and I can’t get a straight answer so I thought I would ask here if anyone would know or has had the same experience.
On older models like my 06, it could be towed 4 down but had to have a NTK installed and programmed. "Neutral Tow Kit". The kit was not available for several years but I have read on iRV2 forum that they are now available again. All it was is a LED indicator and the computer had to be reprogrammed and some instruction and warning labels installed. I have probably 25K miles on my 06 4wd XLT towing all over the country at normal driving speeds

1 - 3 of 3 Posts