Explorer Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone thought of fitting the 5.4 from the Expedition/F-Series in a 2nd gen Explorer. I have the 4.0 but the 5.4 with a Whipple Supercharger would sure be alot of nut.
Is this even possible? If so and you know anyone thats done it, leave me a link or somethin'! Thanks

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Have we thought about it? Sure, but I've thought just as much as dating Britney Spears. Will it ever happen? No. And it'd be a waste of money putting a 5.4 in an Explorer. And of course, no one has done this yet.

Welcome to the site though, be sure to post pictures of your Explorer on here. I really don't think it is physically possible to fit the Lightning/5.4L engine in an Explorer anyway. Just to swap in a 5.0 V8 in an Explorer if yours came with a V6 you're talking between $5-8k which is entirely not worth it. Trust me theres threads on this and the experts have done the research. The numbers come back and anyone who was going to do it, doesn't once they see the cost.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Rob, I don't see how putting the 5.4 in an X would be a waste. There is a guy on FTW putting a 6.8L V10 in his Expedition. Do you consider that a waste too? Just curious to know why.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Has anyone thought of fitting the 5.4 from the Expedition/F-Series in a 2nd gen Explorer. I have the 4.0 but the 5.4 with a Whipple Supercharger would sure be alot of nut.
?Is this even possible? If so and you know anyone thats done it, leave me a link or somethin'! Thanks

I think this would be a lot easier to do with a 3rd gen but definately possible. I don't know that a 5.0 with the right performance parts wouldn't be the better option though.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I still have the plan on putting a 5.4 in my Explorer. ?Firewall forward rebuild! ?Not anytime soon, but it will happen. ?
You're insane though
BTW, if you haven't gotten your supercharger from EE yet don't hold your breath, I will PM you why.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
New custom mounting setup for that motor would be an insane cost, not to mention that the 5.4 is a hell of alot wider than a 5.0.

As far as an explorer goes, i haven't seen or heard of a single motor swap to a motor that wasnt' ever an option in an explorer that's worth it.

It only works with street rods, mustangs, and other high performance vehicles.

Some might say that you can do it with a 5.0 mustang, but that's because they have pre made front k-members for mounting the motor, makes it 1000 times easier.

If you are going to mod a vehicle normallly you need to start with the best motor that was a factory option.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
New custom mounting setup for that motor would be an insane cost, not to mention that the 5.4 is a hell of alot wider than a 5.0. ?

As far as an explorer goes, i haven't seen or heard of a single motor swap to a motor that wasnt' ever an option in an explorer that's worth it.

It only works with street rods, mustangs, and other high performance vehicles.

Some might say that you can do it with a 5.0 mustang, but that's because they have pre made front k-members for mounting the motor, makes it 1000 times easier.

If you are going to mod a vehicle normallly you need to start with the best motor that was a factory option.

I believe the 5.4 will fit in a 3rd gen much easier than you think. The 4.6 is a lot wider than the 5.0 as well and the 3rd gen was designed to accomodate it.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
[..]

I believe the 5.4 will fit in a 3rd gen much easier than you think. ?The 4.6 is a lot wider than the 5.0 as well and the 3rd gen was designed to accomodate it.

I believe Joe was talking about a 2nd Gen X not a 3rd Gen as that was what the orginal poster refered to.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
[..]

I believe Joe was talking about a 2nd Gen X not a 3rd Gen as that was what the orginal poster refered to.

you got it, sorry about he confusion bill.

Even so, i'd use an 03 cobra motor before the 5.4 anyway in a third gen.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
[..]

I knew that I was just throwing it out there for anybody with a 3rd gen who might be reading this thread. Sorry for causing confusion.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
[..]you got it, sorry about he confusion bill.

Even so, i'd use an 03 cobra motor before the 5.4 anyway in a third gen.

That all depends on the 5.4. With the right parts it would even best a cobra motor. But yeah, as far as a crate motor, the cobra would be tough to beat.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Yes, Bill. One for you and one for me, right?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts