Explorer Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wonder if anyone knows if there's any reason why a 99 Explorer Eddie Bauer body WON'T fit on a 95 frame with 95 motor. The 95 body was a rust bucket so found a 99 body from FL that looks like new. I have a 93 engine with fewer miles than the 95 motor. Don't know if it would work. The pleniums are different. Any thoughts on if I can use the 93 engine? I'd mean swapping engines so I'd be a 93 6cyc on a 95 frame with a 99 body. Yea, it sounds crazy. The 93 is a Marshall engine with 158,000 miles. Ran great but needs head gaskets. I changed oil every 3000 miles. The 95 engine has 199,000 miles and I don't know how it was maintained, just that the motor runs. With either engine, I'd have the heads checked for cracks. So, what does everyone think?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
lol, I think you should just get a 5.0L Explorer all in one piece.

I don't know of any frame changes, but do know your '93 engine will have different wiring harnesses and ECM. The '93 block might be the same then you could swap everything else over... I just don't know, nobody has frankensteined one that much that I know about.

·
Registered
10 Posts
lol, I think you should just get a 5.0L Explorer all in one piece.

I don't know of any frame changes, but do know your '93 engine will have different wiring harnesses and ECM. The '93 block might be the same then you could swap everything else over... I just don't know, nobody has frankensteined one that much that I know about.
wow...not even I have tried all that at once before. Thats alot of work for no real gain and a ton of electrical and sensor related issues on the backside with no great way of getting clear answers with having a 99 obd2 body and wiring harness to a 95 obd1 engine setup or 93 obd1 setup. Sounds like it will end up causing so much frustration that you will end up giving up on it but not before dropping alot of man hours and money into where it could be better spent. Keeping the same obd aystem and engine size that your swapping. Sometimes you get too stuck on what you want to make work for one reason or other and lose the flexibility to roll with the punches on an ever changing project. Done it and still do occasionally and then have to look for whatever i throw halfway accross the yard that didnt work. Hope it helps and if your still set on it then someone will always be here to atleast say u did what on the what to the what what.? Cool...lets make it work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! We're using the 95 4.0L on the 99 body. Got new heads. Engine is all together. Doing some under body rust repair before putting the engine in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts