Explorer Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 Explorer, bought it used knowing it didn't move under its own power. Taking a look underneath the front differential has a decent sized hole in it. Motor runs great all other parts and pieces are there besides the sun visors and driver-side passenger window motor. The paint is clean and nearly nothing wrong with it. I have 2 questions, first estimation of vehicle worth for parts? Second being should I try getting a new differential? problem with that is I'm not 100% sure that everything else down there is working like the rear diff and the tranny.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Running and in fair condition, minimal to no rust, it's worth about $1500 but this varies by market and mileage, and which engine ('96 V6 is fairly weak for this size vehicle but V8 is good/solid engine for it).

Not moving, value depends on whether you want to take time, parting it out and selling those parts over a long period of time, or just get $300 and hopefully a free tow from a junk yard. You might be able to sell it as a whole parts car for $500, but good luck finding someone looking for a parts car within reasonable towing distance.

That could take a long time if you ever do, as there are just too many of these vehicles around that still run and plenty of them in junk yards to get a part at a time from. I just don't see many people investing much in a parts car for another vehicle that age unless they've done something special with theirs or do a lot of offroading, meaning they're more likely than average to want a working front diff. included.

However, lucky you it is the front diff. RWD is strong enough to use alone but FWD not so much if the rear had failed. You should be able to just pull the shaft out and use it in 2WD mode. That is where I would start, pull the shaft and see if the truck is working well like that in RWD only mode, then decide how much money it is worth to repair the front or just keep it RWD. However I have never done this myself so I can't give you detailed instructions on doing that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
However, lucky you it is the front diff. RWD is strong enough to use alone but FWD not so much if the rear had failed. You should be able to just pull the shaft out and use it in 2WD mode. That is where I would start, pull the shaft and see if the truck is working well like that in RWD only mode, then decide how much money it is worth to repair the front or just keep it RWD. However I have never done this myself so I can't give you detailed instructions on doing that.
I did forget to mention that it is an AWD. Do you think it'd be better to fix the vehicle instead of trying to sell it/part it out. Assuming that the only thing wrong is the front end that is.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I can't guess about "only thing wrong" with a vehicle this age, as there are too many other factors about mileage (which you never did mention), tranny performance, rust, how much you like the vehicle, etc.

I stick with the original assessment, pull the shaft and see how it does without FWD.

Only you know how willing you are to make an effort to part it out and sit on parts and make ads and such to sell the parts. Some people do such things out of goodwill, others have a shed the parts can sit in till years go by, and others think in terms of immediate return on the money. Way too many variables!

Remember that not running it is only worth $1000 tops. Proceed from there deciding whether the money you'd invest would make you happier to drive it again or if you'd rather apply that money towards something else. Either you want to fix it or you don't. Since you are talking more about money than repair, I'm leaning towards it seeming like you don't want to fix it, but you still have to factor for what the money will get you to replace it. Sometimes $1000 repair on a $1000 vehicle seems excessive but you could end up with a better vehicle than buying something used for $2000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't guess about "only thing wrong" with a vehicle this age, as there are too many other factors about mileage (which you never did mention), tranny performance, rust, how much you like the vehicle, etc.

I stick with the original assessment, pull the shaft and see how it does without FWD.

Only you know how willing you are to make an effort to part it out and sit on parts and make ads and such to sell the parts. Some people do such things out of goodwill, others have a shed the parts can sit in till years go by, and others think in terms of immediate return on the money. Way too many variables!

Remember that not running it is only worth $1000 tops. Proceed from there deciding whether the money you'd invest would make you happier to drive it again or if you'd rather apply that money towards something else. Either you want to fix it or you don't. Since you are talking more about money than repair, I'm leaning towards it seeming like you don't want to fix it, but you still have to factor for what the money will get you to replace it. Sometimes $1000 repair on a $1000 vehicle seems excessive but you could end up with a better vehicle than buying something used for $2000.
You are right, the mileage is 190k. Thank you for your input i really appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts