Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, will this rim fit my Mountaineer without any issues? it's 18x9 with 5.9" backspacing and a +24mm offset:

Second, how do you think it would look on an all black 03 Mountaineer? Or if they fit do you think this one would look better?

Thanks for the info and opinions.

Chad

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The first one. I love those FR500's. I really think either one but personally, if I had the opportunity to be a bit different, I'd take it. I can't remember ever seeing an X with color matched wheels and you still have the chrome lip to make it stand out. On my X, with it being green, I would go with the second one.

About the fitment, I understand that FR500's are a direct match like the Cobra wheels but don't quote me on it. Someone else might know for sure.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I like them both, it's hard to deciede what one would look the best, they both will look good on there, real hard choice.

As far as the fitment, they seem to be the same offset as the Mustang wheels, I have had 2 different styles of Mustang wheels on my X without any problems. I have the 17x9 on there now and no rubbing issues at all. There has to be a way that you can confirm the fitment. I had the 17x8 oem mustang bullit wheels that had the exact offset as the oem wheels that come on the 03's

I can check my wheel box tomarrow to see if it lists the offset from the Cobra R replicas

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I like them both, but if you get the black wheels you'll be dealing with everyone saying "why did you get black" or "i don't like it".

Trust me it will happen. Besides, you'll get tired of the black.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I've never been a fan of black wheels. Go for the silver ones.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
but if you get the black wheels you'll be dealing with everyone saying "why did you get black" or "i don't like it"
That's a positive to me.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I am going to go with the black. I'm not 100% sure yet, but I'm leaning that way. As for tires I'm guessing a 255-55-18 would keep me close to the stock diameter, what is everyone on 18's running?

Thanks!

Chad

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
255/55/18s are generally the closest to stock in overall diameter, and they are what tire retailers, like TireRack, generally recommend. They are usually just very slightly (0.1 to 0.2 inches) smaller than stock. I have 275/55/18s on mine, which obviously are wider, and they are about 1/2" larger than stock diameter. I haven't had any problems with clearances or rubbing, so they've worked out just fine for me. It depends on what type of tire you're looking for, too. In "street" tires, the 255s are probably more commonly available.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
[..]

Look at mine

I vote for the black ones also
I'd like to look at yours but it's hard to see it when it's on jack stands in your garage.

True, I forgot about yours but that's a perfect example of how good it can look.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
[..]

I'd like to look at yours but it's hard to see it when it's on jack stands in your garage.

You can always look in my gallery, also my X is off the stands as I took her for a blast around the block on Sunday. Boy I missed driving her.

[..]True, I forgot about yours but that's a perfect example of how good it can look.

Thanks

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
PA_Mountie, I thought about it some more and you know what I'm going to say that you should definitely get the black FR500's with the polished lip. Those look killer and I realized that basically the just plain silver wheels are too "plain" and common, it's time to be different. That wheel is painted black right? Not a dark shade of blue or something? I really like that design.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea, it's powdercoated black. I am just waiting on my appropriations committee to approve the funds. Although She is a committee of one it sometimes feels like I'm a republican asking the democrat majority for money for my own special interest program

Chad

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Oh, Chad. Didn't anybody ever tell you its a lot easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission? I alwayd get a hearty chuckle when I walk in the house, and my wife asks me whats in the great big box. 8O

The best one was when my new tire and wheel package arrived from TireRack a couple days early, while I was out of town. Fedex left a little slip on our door, and the wife ran over to the neighbor's house thinking there was a little envelope there. Four 275/55/18s, all mounted up and ready to go!!!
She had to roll them home one at a time! I had some "splainin" to do that time.

Anyway, I usually don't go for black wheels, but those should look really distinctive, especially on a Mountaineer. You don't see a lot of Mountys with mods.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
All right there, John Kerry.

You must have to go before the same Congressional budget committee that I do. And let me tell you, the Senator (Queen) that heads that committee is one tough cookie.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh, Chad. Didn't anybody ever tell you its a lot easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission?

Yea, That's my usual motto, but with the new laptop, signal mirrors, a new set of tires for my jeep........

1 - 20 of 35 Posts