Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I know theres a lot of text, but plz read it all because I do need some advice on a couple items....thanks

Well today I got up early and headed over to the fire station. We have two huge garage bays that are open (extra) so its the perfect place to do all this kind of work. I don't have a garage, and my driveway is slanted, so it would NOT work. Plus it was freezing outside, and they have a really heavy duty kick ass floor jack.

So I finally put on my new rims and tires, they look incredible on my truck. While I was at it I also lowered the front of my truck and removed the step bars. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. First of all the entire truck looks completely different. The lowered look is incredible, and the new rims look fabulous. My new rims are 275/55/17 Cobra R's wrapped in Dunlops. I can peel out now, (and im 4WD!!!!) my tires squeal a little bit if I take really sharp turns, its pretty sweet. Not that I was looking for that...

But anyway I kept taking measurements in the front to make sure that my left and right side were even in height. My wheel well gap is considerably down, I have about four inches from where my tire is to the center of the fender flare. That may sound like a lot but trust me its not. Because my new tires in height even combined with my new rims are not as tall as my stock setup, believe me I think its safe to say I lowered the front about 2, maybe 2.5". My wheel well gap is not quite as small as TAS', and I'm considering going back tomorrow real quick to just adjust the torsion bolts again to get more drop, but I'm not sure. Here's a picture of TAS' wheel well gap for reference:

<center>
</center>

From that picture it appears my guess anyway, that from his tire to the center of the fender is 2 -maybe- 3". I'm not sure if I should drop it more to where his is or just leave mine where it is now. I didn't want to drop mine too low because I know I have the EE airdam to put on the front. So I don't want to have a "drag" or "sag" look. But his does look good.

Anyways, I was going to lower the rear of my truck today with these standard Autozone 2" lowering blocks but I think 2" in the rear might be too much - so I'm just going to use the ones that are in the EE X-Spec suspension kit thats on the way. That will give me enough drop but not too much. What do you guys think?

I made sure I took my X out for a short spin to get the front to fully settle. I think I gained about another half inch when I came back. I can definitely tell the tires need alignment, not by visual indicators, but the sound the tires make which is EXACTLY the sound Wilson was describing with his truck.

Overall, everything looks incredible. I really really dig the look and the tough aggressive stance my truck now has. I really CANT wait to get my trim and bumpers painted black and get the EE airdam on. My truck has undergone a huge transformation lately. I ripped off those stupid extra foglights on the front too, those would have to go soon enough anyway and were useless. And not having the step bars anymore makes SUCH a difference. Looks 100x better.

Oh, last and most importantly, I will take plenty of pictures TOMORROW for you guys. I apoligize for not having pictures for you today.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh one other thing I forgot to mention. I know its the oddest thing but....especially with just how my truck looks lowered and all - I would not go any bigger of rim size on my truck. I might go to 18's, but that's it. DEFINITELY not 20's. IMO 20's on some second generation Explorers don't even look good anyway. There are plenty of people who have 20's on 2nd generation Explorers that DO look great (like SoldierConteras, Anabolic Frolic, and others)....but for the look I want and the performance, the 17's fit me perfectly. I am totally impressed with them, and the Cobra R's really do look incredible on Explorers if done right. Much, MUCH better in person then standard pictures you see on the net.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Anxiously awaiting pics.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Wow Rob that's great!!!! I can't wait to see pics!!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I'm getting the same rims, Rob. Where did you get yours? How much? Chrome? I'm planning on getting these ($500/set):

But I gotta say, I'm really liking those FR500's ($225/each) but they're not in my budget.

BTW, I HATE YOU.
You piss me off because I want to do all that stuff to my X but I have to wait until we close on the house which is looking like it won't be until March (the bastards haven't started building yet).

Anyway, get some pics up. Sounds Great.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
With the 2-3" drop so far you probably have about 1/2 inch of play remaining between the bumpstop & control arm, now is the time to get it to the exact high you are trying to acheive, for once you get it aligned, you won't want to play around with the torsion bolts again.

pics?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the 2-3" drop so far you probably have about 1/2 inch of play remaining between the bumpstop & control arm, now is the time to get it to the exact high you are trying to acheive, for once you get it aligned, you won't want to play around with the torsion bolts again. ?

pics?
Mountaineer, that is exactly why I'm trying to make sure my X is at the height I want it in the front. I'm still really debating over whether or not I should maybe lower it another inch or just leave it. When I thought about my measurements more last night I realized that I had dropped it approximately 2", MAYBE 2.5". But its definitely lowered 2 inches.

TAS, I had no idea you are that close in the gap. That's practically nothing, and I'm not sure if I want to go that low...I want a low enough stance to look aggressive and not have this humongous wheel well gap, but not so much that I lose function in the thing. Especially with the airdam on, I don't want to have to worry about going over speed bumps or something stupid like that. Interesting that you're going to raise it a little.

Wilson, that sucks about your house but believe me always tack on at least four months onto the date they SAY your house is going to be done. One person I knew, and this was terrible in their situation, for absolutely no logical reason they took at least an extra year for the house to even be built and then finally finished. And two guys that are having homes being built in South Jersey have been delayed twice and in total at least six months. It sucks. That's the ONE negative thing about having a custom home built or any new home, you have to wait, wait, and wait some more for it to even appear on your plot of land.

Guys I will definitely get pictures for you today and I can't wait to take them either! If I do decide to go down another half inch or full inch then I will take pictures as it stands right now and then after to see the difference. Also, anyone know exactly where the bumpstops are located? I wasn't really looking for them yesterday but I don't know exactly where they are.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Look near the rear hinge of the lower control arm. Right above it,attached to the frame, is a piece of rubber(maybe 2" tall) with a hole in the center, that's the bumpstop. In the rear. Right above the rear axle on each side.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pics:

<center>

This is a rear shot, I havent touched the rear height at all yet

</center>

I'm leaving right now to go back to the firehouse to lower it approximately another inch, max.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok these pictures are after the second drop. I lowered it approximately three quarters of an inch. If I was looking at the right thing, I have about one to two inches of space between the bumpstops.

<center>

</center>

I measured from the bottom of my bumper to the pavement and mine measured 13 inches; my dad's which is stock of course is 16. So that means I lowered the front in total 3". I guess that sounds right...

Once I put on the airdam which is four inches in height, I will have nine inches of ground clearance. Is this enough? TAS how much ground clearance do you have with your airdam on? Now is the time for me to make the adjustments so I need this input ASAP...

After lowering it the second time today I can definitely notice the infamous "rake" effect look on my truck. The rear really needs to come down but 2" is just too much. The EE blocks that are on the way in my X-Spec Suspension kit will be perfect.

Soo...what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Looks good so far, you got a profile picture from further back?

How much thread do you have left on the torsion bar adjusters?

edit: I wouldn't say three inches drop because you also changed the tires, which I think you said were a little smaller than stock right?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have plenty of tread left on the torsion bar adjusters. Matt's pictures of his torsion bolts are weird angles, but it looks like mine are at the same point that his are at. The odd thing is that I have at least an inch, maximum 2 of space between my bumpstops, whereas he has practically nothing.

Sorry about the pictures, I snapped them real fast. I am going back out to run a couple errands in a little bit and I will take some more and from better angles later. Damn this thing needs to get aligned, I don't know how anyone could stand driving it without one after lowering it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Lookin REAL good there, good luck with it

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Rob that looks amazing!!!! I thought you were going to take off the tailight covers though?
:

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No. Remember I have a second set of taillights that are in the process of being smoked. It's too damn cold out now to tint them anymore. They're tinted enough but the problem is near the reverse light portion I need to touch it up.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Ahh...gotchya!!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Rob: the best technique for measuring your drop would have been to take a measurment at the top of each wheel well. This gives you a reference point on each side to work from. This will tell you if it is level from the factory as well. 99% are not! As you crank it down you can then keep checking what you have compared to your reference measurment. Most every X is different so comparing to your parents V8 4 door is futile.

TAS will have to verify this, but I think he flipped his torsion bars as well. This will allow additional drop over what you can get out of the twist. Remeber, he's 2wd also.

My only advice is to watch out for binding in your CV joints. If it gets too low you may have some issues with these.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts