Explorer Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on another forum that the remote start feature can be activated on Explorers, after purchasing the proper key fob. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can check with the dealer (remote start key FOBs cost around $250 each) - but unless your Explorer had the remote start module, just a key FOB will not get you remote start.

Depending on the model and age of your vehicle (you really didn't give us anything to go on in your post) - you may be able to have your Ford Dealer add a remote start module and FOB.

Lots of aftermarket remote start kits around too (usually installed by audio and/or alarm shops).

I think any path will cost $$$ - but start with the dealer, they can give you a quick answer on what is needed and how much it would cost for the OEM solution (if there is one).

Remote starting is nice, but I personally wouldn't pay lots of money for it. I use it occasionally on our 2018 Platinum Explorer - mostly when it has been sitting in the hot Las Vegas sun for a couple of hours - nice to get the cooling started while walking through the parking lot.

If you have Sync 3 - you may be able to remote start from the Ford app.

Jim

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You can buy the key with the extra button, program it in, then use Forscan app (windows OS version on a windows PC/tablet/etc needed to program, IIRC) to toggle on the remote start feature. A google search for Forscan remote start will provide more info.

On model years that have remote start built in, that module is not separate and is just a matter of toggling it on in the firmware. There is no need to get a dealer involved and they may not even be allowed to facilitate toggling on a feature that was not ordered to come on the vehicle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts