Explorer Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a KKM filter for my X and am planning getting a new throttle body to replace the stock one, should I also get a new MAF or will there be not much of any improvements. I want to improve my X by airflow first and then add the good stuff later.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have a MAF and I love it!! I would get it.... all those mods combined will improve your performance pretty good.... You'll like it. I suggest you get the MAF

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got the BBK 66mm TB and a Granatelli mass air flow sensor at the same time on my OHV. Did the TB first and drove w/ it for a bit, and was super impressed right away...! then I put the MAF on and was not as impressed w/ the jump in performance that i felt after the new TB install, was a little better but not much (just what I found on my truck, i guess others have had different results). The TB was 200 beans and the MAF was 300, so i felt the 200 $ was a little better spent. -I'd say it does pay to do both at once tho. either way the 2 mods really made my truck breath better!

·
Registered
666 Posts
All the mods add up ... thats the only way to look at it. And remember in trucks as slow as ours, every little bit helps!

My mod route for most N/A power-

1.Intake/Air Filter

2.Exhaust

3.Chip

4.T/B

5.MAF

6.Headers

7.High flow cats

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
All the mods add up ... thats the only way to look at it. And remember in trucks as slow as ours, every little bit helps! ?
?

My mod route for most N/A power-

1.Intake/Air Filter

2.Exhaust

3.Chip

4.T/B

5.MAF

6.Headers

7.High flow cats

I would make only a couple of changes to that:

1) Intake

2) Exhaust= Hi-flow cat, Flowmaster, headers

3) T/B

4) MAF

5) Chip

Reason for my change is because your chip would have to be reburned to match the t/b, then the MAF, then the headers (cat doesn't matter on chip). Since it runs close to $100 a pop for reburns, that could add up to pay for another mod. I would do the entire exhaust at one time. Get the headers, then have a custom exhaust place do the hi-flow cats and Flowmaster when they do the rest of the piping.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I believe Apten chips has reburns for 40 dollars plus 10 s+h. So that's 50 for a reburn total (although I do recognize that 50 per reburn is a lot if you plan to reburn a lot. But in the same boat...exhaust+highflow cats+ headers is a LOT of change. I've heard that tb do not warnet 200 dollars. But if you were seriously empressed with it, that's awesome...and definately good news.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Anyone know if Brian at Apten can burn over a jet chip? I would really like that whole top end limiter removed as well the speed limit is as fast as you can take it on the Autobahn. If not I may just out the cash for a new chip from him although getting my vehicle there would be a problem.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
You don't have to have your vehicle there. You just give him your specs, like in your signature, and he burns it and mails it to you. I doubt very much he'd burn another product other than his.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts