Explorer Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys im havin a lil problem with my new rockford amp.. it will be palyin then shut off then come bac on liek every couple min this will happen... it could be a couple things;one it could be bc temporely im runnin an 8gauge wire instead of a 4 gauge... could it be that i need a cap..or could it be that my amp is bad...its a rockford 2400watt amp.. need help!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Random guesses here, not sure how much credit any of them have.

- Possibility of overheating

- Grounds bad

- The 8 to 4 gauge wiring as you described

- Capicitor might help, but not sure because it wouldnt relieve that much power off your alternator

- Car battery and/or alternator may have to be upgraded due to that high of a wattage you are trying to power (2400 watts is a **** load)

- You're trying to power way more than the stock electrical wiring of your Explorer can output

Again, not sure on the credibility of those statements, hopefully FLIK will hop in on this one, or anyone else that really knows their car audio stuff

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it does get very hot... that could be due to not havin the right gauge wire.. and i was told to check my remote wire 2 bc that might have come loose...

·
Registered
64 Posts
How new is "new"?

I had a 2000 watt Eclipse amp powering three 12" subs and it started going into protection after 7 months. I thought it was a connection but it turned out to be normal wear and tear for an amp that's powering more than it should be powering. Luckily, it's comes with a three year warranty so I just got it replaced. In another 7 months, I'll probably have to get this new one replaced.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
He just bought it. Hasnt even had it installed for more than a week and a half.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I am guessing a bad ground or the wire gauge is too smaller. This happened to my friend. If you do get a capcitor it will make the bass hit a little tighter and put less strain on your battery.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
I'm thinking bad ground, too. For some reason your protection circuitry is kicking in. How do you have it grounded? Have you grounded it to the body in a clean (no paint, bare metal) spot?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Just giving you guys an update and I apologize, just saw these messages now. He ended up getting an Optima battery, capacitor, and new aftermarket alternator. He also bought a new Rockford Fosgate amp and hasn't been having the problems anymore. For whatever reason he is having a problem logging into ExplorerX and we've tried just about everything, I'll just need to go over his house someday and figure it out but anyways, just wanted to let you guys know the problem has been resolved.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Well, since I just noticed how old this thread was, ignore my previous statements.

Man, last post was 10/27 until today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts