Explorer Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know it's a sad day when I am still using my factory amp/sub, but with an aftermarket head unit it sounds ok. Anyway, it seems that my amp is starting to turn on and off when a heavier electrical load is being put on the X. Anybody hear of this before? I am thinking it is either the battery is getting old and not giving enough back-up, or that me ALT is starting to die. Or it could be that I need a real amp/sub.....
. If anyone has seen this, let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
It might be a combination of everything you listed. But, when was the last time you replaced your battery? Upgrade the battery and alternator first. If that still doesn't fix the problem, then you are in need of a more powerful amp. Remember your stock alternator, battery, and amp are only configured to power the stock electrical configurations. Anything you add in afterwards, exceptionally a high powered sound system demands A LOT of power and chews right through the lifespan of your stock components.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i had a problem with that.. if ur amp is terminated directly onto the battery, check if the screw closing it onto the + cap of ur battery is tight.. if the connection becomes weak, ur amp will shut off.

Also, check your grounds from the amp. If ur ground is loose, it will make a loud noise when u shut off ur car, or even could turn off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The amp is factory installed by Ford. It came with the Mach XX??? whatever # sound system that has an amp with a 6 inch( we're not worthy) Sub. It's all factory stuff Except the the head unit(long story). Sorry I didn't clarify that. So, all of the wiring (up to head unit) is factory. I have never replaced my battery. I know this is on the list off 100K things I have been working on.

I can listen at normal (loud) levels without any issues, UNTIL I turn anything else on, like lights, turn signals,wipers, etc. Which would lead me to ALT going or that it is simply time to change the battery. Could it also be that my belt is starting to stretch and not turning the ALT enough?

Don't ya just love electrical stuff?
:

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I would just start with replacing the battery. I think a person on here was having the same problems and the Volt gauge was moving down when a load was put on the system. A new battery sounds like it should solve all your problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fun thing this AM. Amp didn't even turn on until 1/2 way to work. Think I may have some loose wires. It's a '99, so it wouldn't supprise me if something has jared loose over the years. If that doesn't fix it, new battery it is.......

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
The turn-on lead wire maybe loose if it didn't turn on until that late. But the battery may still be the problem. Who knows.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, something to think about - If this occurs and they have a removable face plate, check that connection 1st! I started tapping on it and guess what? Tap-on, Tap-Tap, Tap-off, Tap-Tap, the tapper.......Ok, Sorry about that. I forgot that after a certain amount of time (and bumps) they start to loose connectivity. Good thing I have a service plan.....time to go in for repair.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
OK, something to think about - If this occurs and they have a removable face plate, check that connection 1st! ?I started tapping on it and guess what? ?Tap-on, Tap-Tap, Tap-off, Tap-Tap, the tapper.......Ok, Sorry about that. ?I forgot that after a certain amount of time (and bumps) they start to loose connectivity. ?Good thing I have a service plan.....time to go in for repair.
So that is what was giving you the problems? Loose wires essentially? Well at least that should be cheaper to fix then buying a new amp.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts