Explorer Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone;

Well, to my surprise as I was looking through the pages of "Automobile" magazine, I came across a small advertisement in the last couple of pages.

www.cocomats.com

Yes our floor mat supplier for the XP8. We can now buy replacement floor mats from them, with the exception of the "Saleen embossed driver's front mat, thopugh I have not asked them, since they will do custom mats. We can buy the an identical front mat but it will not say Saleen on it. I kind of think their driver's mat looks better than the Saleen one, anyway.

Coolest thing is they have a coco mat for behind the rear seat in the cargo area. They also have different colors. Prices seem very reasonable too.

I think we should have a special section on this website for all the XP8 suppliers that were used for the special XP8 touches and where parts are STILL available. We now know where the carbon fiber interior trim inserts came from, the coco mats, Recaro seats, etc..

If we can document all of this information because it has NOT been documented before, maybe we can stop the bleeding on the selling prices going down for the XP8 and actually reverse them a bit or hopefully a lot.

Right now, the only items that would stop someone from building a replica or restoring an XP8 that are near impossible to find are the XP8 guages, Carbon Fiber insert steering wheel, Saleen ground effects, XP8 Windshield sticker, XP8 Saleen pedals, 13" brake Steel Mounting brackets and that should pretty much be it. Everything else IS available from current suppliers. Replica's build up the desire base and flattery is a great form of respect. Clean that up and we will really have something.

Without an extensive history of these vehicles documented in great detail as to the differences from year to year, production numbers from year to year, an XP8 registry, what was actually suppost to be delivered from Saleen, and what was actually available, we are kidding ourselves, if we think that in another 10 years they will be worth more than a standard Ford Explorer of the same vintage. With an MRSP almost 40% greater than an Explorer when new, I would hate to see that happen. This is something us owners need to pull together to accomplish. XP8 owners are somewhat removed from the core Saleen Mustang groups, thus we need to look out for our own.

Anyway, all you guys with the gas pedal blow out area on your coco mat (me too), you now can find a worthy replacement and a pretty cool cargo area coco mat that Saleen SHOULD have delivered the truck with.

Rick

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Good find rick, i believe there is a supplier that claims to have the actual saleen coco mats, i'll find it for you.

Funny, my drivers side is destroyed.

Also, you say "the only items stopping people from building a replica", where you being sarcastic? I think you named almost all the parts other than the seats and carbon fiber, lol.

Nevertheless, i'm going to check out those coco matts, i'd like gray, i don't really like the brown/black.

Thanks,

Joe

This guy used to have the saleen mats, and the borla exhaust. Not sure if he does now, maybe i'll call him this week.

www.haneymotorsports.com

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
ricksaleen, don't fret. I am working on actually incorporating SaleenXP8.com into ExplorerX instead of being two different websites. SaleenXP8.com will redirect to our Saleen XP8 section on here. Anyways, I am working on building a VERY comprehensive, TRUE Saleen XP8 resource. It will house all information on the vehicles, the differences, the stock options, everything. I will definitely incorporate a section for Saleen XP8 parts and accessories that still exist or can be purchased.

This is a GREAT idea and I really want to capitalize on it. I will also have sections for Steeda Explorers and Kenny Brown Explorers. I really truly want to build this site as the number one source for all Explorers!!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Thats cool Rick!

Rob, I hope you can make that site a reality someday. No other sites really have as much info that you will include.

an XP8 registry, what was actually suppost to be delivered from Saleen
Im confused, was there actually a registry where it showed the serial number and where it was sold? I would really like to find out where an XP6 owner around here lives to find out more about it. Would a registry tell me that? Im not sure if that is an invasion of privacy or not, Id even like their phone number. I remember the XP6 that I saw was, i believe, #066.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Ok i called this company today about the mats since i want a set for my mustang. Really nice guy, it's not a big corp. it seems more like a family business.

Here's what he had to say about the real saleen explorer mats:

He has the mold for the molded saleen section, he can make the saleen mats still and is willing to, only if he gets an ok from saleen, because he says they they WILL sue him, and i believe that.

He also says that the generic sets on his page are a near match for explorers, and front's are only 39 bucks a set.

I'm ordering a set of generic (non vehicle specific) for my mustang and i'll test fit them in my explorer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts