Explorer Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 2002 XLT that ran great until I got rid of it at 16,000 miles. Thanks for any input!

I am in the market for a 2003 XLT V6 RWD with all options and I want one that has under 20K miles, but I am considering a few that have 30-40K miles too because of the add-ons that owners have put into it.

I really don't need a V8, but I would like to hear the difference from other X drivers with V8's as I know how the V6 drives.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Any known issues with 2003 Explorers?
Yes, I don't own one.

I'm sure some of the newer model X owners will chime in shortly.

If you're worried about gas mileage, the mileage with the V8 is not very much less than what you get with the V6. I have the 5.0 V8 so I can't give you actual experience with the newer 4.6 V8. I can tell you that I've never heard a V8 owner say he wishes he had the V6 but I've seen PLENTY of V6 owners say the opposite.

G

·
I know there is something wrong with the rearend of them. Atleast in the '02s. There's a distinct humming above 50 or so MPH. Ford doesn't have an answer to the problem yet. But they will replace it if it gets really bad. There was also an update for the trannie(4.6 for sure, not sure about the 4.0) But I'm sure since you're just picking yours up, it already has the update. Other than the "Chrome" peeling off the emblems, ours has been pretty trouble free.

G

·
...The V8 is great. I've driven both, and the V8 is by far the better choice. The '02s are a bit more heavier than the Second Gens. And it shows with the 6. Test drive an 8. Thats really the only way to tell which would suit you best.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If he test drives it, mark him down for a V8 because you'll want it after you drive it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the awesome feedback. Should I be worried about mileage on an '02 X that may have over 30K miles? I would prefer a '03 but there is not a lot of V8s on the market.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Well, let's see. Technically an '02 X would've been purchased in fall of '01 so that's a little over two years. 30,000 miles doesn't sound like a lot of miles to me.

BTW, don't forget to check out http://kbb.com/ when you find one.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I have a '02 4.6L V8 and absolutely love it. Of course it is my 3rd Explorer and my second V8. The '97 had the 5.0 L V8 and I can honestly say this '02 has more guts than it did. But that could be due to the mods I have done to this one though, I did not do any to the '97. I have just over 23,000 and I purchased it 12/4/2001. I'm told I'm a little on the low side for the mileage. I've had one problem with mine, I began having a hard time putting the gear shift in park. Once I took it in they told me there was some problems with the steering column, replaced it and I've not had a problem since. Not even the whining at 50 MPH they talked about above.

Good luck with your choice and let us know what you end up with.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
maverik, although Ford completely redesigned the V6 tranny and engine for the 3rd generation, the same principle still applies: The V8 Explorers are mechanically built better, stronger, and of course they are quite durable. The MPG between the V6 and the V8 is not that bad, of course depending on driving conditions.

And, like Eric (Wilsonthedog) said before, I never hear V8 owners saying they wish they got a V6. I've ONLY heard the opposite. Every V6 owner wants a V8. Myself included.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have 4.6 '02 with 31k miles. I love it! I test driven the V6.. i don't love it. The V8 is the way to go.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I have a 03 with the v6, I really like it and it has engough power for me (I got 2 tickets this past year with my svt Focus) so I didnt even drive the v8!! I went from a 3.0 Ranger so I can say that the 4.0 Explorer seems to have alot more power.

Good luck finding you next X !

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
My '02, which I got in May of 2002, rolled over 27,000 miles this morning. It has been pretty trouble free. Had the front sway bar bushing update done to stop the sqeaking over speed bumps. My rear differential seals started leaking at about 20,000 miles and had to be replaced. I had noticed some whining from the rear end at about 50-60 mph, but somehow I haven't noticed it since I upgraded the audio system!!

For the 02's, later production, after March of 2002, had some mid-year improvements, mostly in equipment that was promised, and actually became available finally, like the color-keyed running boards, the power adjustable pedals with memory, safety curtain air bags. I think they actually changed the seats in XLTs, but don't quote me on that.

When I was buying mine, first I test drove a really beautiful Eddie Bauer with a V-6. After driving that one, I knew even before I drove the V-8 Limited that I really didn't want a V-6. The 4.6L is a very nice power plant, it performs very nicely, and it responds well to upgrades. One of my criteria was that I knew when I bought it that I'd be towing a boat within a year or two, and the V-8 with the 3.73 axle does a really nice job hauling the boat.

Good luck with your search, and welcome to ExplorerX!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts