Explorer Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone from way back in the day still around? I used to enjoy the time spent here so just thought I would give a friendly hello to anyone who hasn't completely left this site. I see stillaford is now a mod. If anyone remembers me just thought I'd give you an update on my Explorer life. The Mountaineer hasn't been an only child for about a year now.

SAM_0068.jpg

My way of rewarding myself for a great job and almost being done with an MBA. Despite how good she looks on the outside the Mounty is start to show her almost 14 years and 190K of hard driving. The center console is cracked, the radio bezel retainers broke so if you pull a cd too hard out of the headunit the whole bezel comes too, the headliner is starting to look like the floor of a bar after the lights come on, none of the interior trim lines up, most of the exhaust has rusted or fallen off (at least the sound of open headers is soothing, albeit deafening), the engine knocks and rattles and squeals strangely, she doesn't know what driving in a straight line is and god help if you want tight steering anymore. But she still starts everytime, all the time and always gets me home no matter what I put her through.

Anyways just saying hello to everyone still around :EX:

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howdy. I still poke in every now and then. My driveway has changed a bit as well:
And what a beautiful driveway it is. Good to know I'm not the only one who appreciates the dichotomy of an Explorer and a European sports sedan.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
It's funny how we all went Euro after our Explorer years. I can't get rid of mine, ironically, after I said I never would. I'm down to $3k but would prob take $2.5k just to get it out of the garage. We just traded in our Salsa Red '08 Jetta Wolfsburg for a Candy White '10 Wolfsburg as we've become a devout VW family. I'm just a tick under 90k on my '07 GTI and could use some brakes soon. I got an APR Stage II flash a year ago and the car is a blast to drive nowadays. :driving8kw:

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
That is funny. Even Rob went to a Volvo. I must say I regret trading my 2000 Explorer in the Saab but I had a short span on no Explorers, then an even shorter span of owning a 2003 4 door and have had the first gen for a year.

You're brave for owning VWs, Matt!

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Todd I have found the VW community is much more involved locally and have made some connections with people who are always willing to help out. My buddy is a tech at one of the dealers, albeit pretty far from my home but he's super knowledgeable. The new Wolfie we bought from his dealership, with a CPO 2yr/24k and a 4yr/48k wrap-around. Trust me I'm getting my use out of it! How is that first gen doing? You brought it back to life pretty quick for sure!

Utayogi, details on The Big Cat? It looks pretty clean! I had a guy wanting to trade me an '02 XJ for the Explorer... until I pointed out in the ad that it was currently not running. I would've done it for sure had he not needed a driver!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's funny how we all went Euro after our Explorer years
Let me start addressing that by prefacing my Explorer years aren't over. God willing, I plan for her to never leave me, and quite frankly when I have my Viking funeral I'll probably have the Mounty put on the barge with me. I do not want kids, and even if I had them given what I see in young people ten to fifteen years younger than me I don't know if they will appreciate the beauty of a machine 3 times older than they are and the strange bond that a man can develop with an inanimate object. The older, more exhaust pipes that rust and break off, slower, and worse handling she gets the more I love her. When I've had a rough day and just need a drive to clear my head or be alone, I hop in, turn the key over, listen to the straight pipes purr from the 302, redline it a couple times in the driveway, and put it in drive and then just drift away. I prefer the raw, primal feeling of a V8, RWD, bad handling, and no traction control safety net. The closer I am to the limit the more alive I feel. Plus she's like old pair of cowboy boots. Comfortable, familiar, reassuring, both mentally and physically.

But, I have two theories on why we all went Euro. We are all car people, through and through. Most car people like precision and engineering, and we appreciate the level of detail and thought that goes into an automobile that can get you quickly to well over 100MPH, still be comfortable, still be luxurious, and still be able to round a corner when you get there. My second theory is we all know the V8 Explorer isn't slow, but at some point we all realized it isn't fast. So we wanted to go fast, then once we went fast we realized we needed to stop, then when we realized we needed to stop we realized we needed to corner, and by this time we had reached points on our lives where we could not only afford to but also desired an element of sophistication, relaxation and luxury in our lives.

Now for the details on the big cat.

2006 XJR. Engine 400HP, 412Lb Ft, 4.2L Supercharged V8. It's RWD, LSD, Don't know the rear end ratio yet, haven't had a chance to research it. 0-60 if you can get it to not smoke to heavens in around 5 flat. Best I've done is 6 flat, If it wasn't for the limiter I'd reckon probably good for the 170 on the dash (Still pulled very hard at 155). It has leather, adaptive cruise control, navigation, all the bells and whistles you'd expect from a 6 year old car that cost around $95,000 when brand new. EXCEPT iPod connectivity. I'm going to have to buy a $400 module that makes the car head unit think your iPod is the CD changer, and since I'm anal and trust no one will have to tear the car half apart to put it in. I'm the 4th owner I think. It was owned by a corporation originally for several years who put very very few miles on it, so probably some sort of limo? Then two quick owners (most likely bought it couldn't afford it and ditched it, the owner before me did a lot of maintenance and everything before I got it, so I'm assuming he dumped a bunch of money into it and something in his life situation changed so he/she had to sell). At some point I'm pretty sure the car was searched for drugs by the police because some of the interior panels have the tell tale signs of an angry cop who doesn't love automobiles on it. Other than that 70K miles, everything is perfect on her amazingly well loved mechanically. Cosmetically, head lights are stating to fade, someone with a trailer hitch backed into the rear bumper, just minor little rock chips on front, rear sun visor doesn't work, subwoofers are blown, and some very minor scratches and obviously I'm probably the first person to ever wax it, but some good cleaner wax and clay bar and that thick sprayed beautiful metallic paint was radiant again.

She is deceptively fast, and while she is a big heavy cat and leans like crazy she will out corner every Mustang, 3 series and older Corvette I've came across. Loads of grip, and great turn in, but if you push her beyond her limit even by .001% she will reach out slap your face and kick your testicles and try to kill you without remorse, regret or hesitation.

So, I like to name my vehicles after women. And preferably I like the name to have some meaning. My Jaguar is named Katie, and this is the logic. The Jaguar is fast, exotic, luxurious, and if you push her the wrong way extremely dangerous and possibly deadly. Well I've had only been in two life threatening situations, and both times it was someone trying to kill me, and both were at the hands of women I was dating. One tried to run me over with a car when we broke up. The other pulled a knife on me when she was drunk. Well the knife girl was Katie, and since I wasn't scared of getting killed by a Chevy Cavalier, and seeing a very attractive, very naked, and very drunk girl with a knife made me poo myself a little before self defense kicked in I decided to name my car Katie in honor.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
They are helpful and the tools out there are great. Much better than the Saab/GM(blech) resources. I just find the parts hugely expensive. I've been working on my BF's mkIV Jetta. Granted with 92k on the clock it's had very little work done to it but I just did a power steering line, timing belt/water pump, suspension bushings, and new rear springs. It's been quite the task!

I've had the '94 for a year now. It's pretty much become my daily. I like driving it but the mud terrains tend to wear on your ears on long trips. I've had it out in the woods a few times and it does great.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I come in from time to time.

Explorer is long gone though, my pops is looking for a 2 door though. Pretty tough to find them nowadays.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
just was thinking about this site today! lol! It's been forever but I still see a few of you guys are still around! How is everyone?
Welcome back!!

I come in from time to time.

Explorer is long gone though, my pops is looking for a 2 door though. Pretty tough to find them nowadays.
It is. About the only ones that can be found now have been run into the ground and cost <$1k and need a ton of work. There are still a few nice ones out there but even the third gens are starting to show their age.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
An Eclipse? Aww BORING!!! J/K. I'm a VW guy now, love driving turbo cars they're so much more fun! I just dumped the Explorer about a month ago so no more Ford's for me at the moment. I might try to snatch a new Explorer Sport down the road. Saw a black one yesterday and they're really growing on me...

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I write my will, I'm putting that when I die, I want them to prop me up behind the wheel of my Mountaineer, set us both to sea, and light the bitch on fire. Till death do us part and viking funeral ftw.

A man never loves another quite like the first he loved.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am back as well. After several years in Europe, we are just getting ready to move back to the US. The Explorer is still with us and running well. Who else is till here?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Wowzers!:beer::beer:

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is funny. Even Rob went to a Volvo. I must say I regret trading my 2000 Explorer in the Saab but I had a short span on no Explorers, then an even shorter span of owning a 2003 4 door and have had the first gen for a year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Speaking of 2-drs, they are really a rare sight now. My Sport is
20 years old now. Time flies whether you're having fun or not....

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is funny. Even Rob went to a Volvo. I must say I regret trading my 2000 Explorer in the Saab but I had a short span on no Explorers, then an even shorter span of owning a 2003 4 door and have had the first-gen for a year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts