Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '02 Limited has the "color-keyed" running boards that came on later production models (not the all-black ones). I was crawling around under there the other day, thinking about taking them off. But these boards have a piece at the front and rear that "integrates" them in with the fender well and side trim, so I don't know what will be left if I take them off. Can't really tell if there would be an unsightly gap in the side trim. I'd like to figure it out before I launch in to the process of unbolting one, having it fall on my head, not being able to get it back on straight, etc....

You can kind of see in this picture, the hunk under the back door that goes from the body down to the board. It has the same thing at the front.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't take them off at all, they look good on there. Maybe if anything paint them white to match along with the rest of your trim or something but don't remove them. It won't look "right" IMO unless your truck was lowered.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Nothing should happen if you take them off. That molded piece should be part of the running board. If you do take them off, you will be able to see part of the frame so I don't know if that will bother you. They should just be bolted on and should come off with no problems.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly I wouldn't take them off at all, they look good on there. Maybe if anything paint them white to match along with the rest of your trim or something but don't remove them. It won't look "right" IMO unless your truck was lowered.

This is all part of the debate raging in my head over whether to lower it or not. Another idea that I think would be cool would be to paint the black step pads silver to match the rest of the boards, and put strips of stainless along the raised strips that you actually step on. That, however, would be a fairly major preparation nightmare, and I don't know how well paint would hold up on there.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
In my experience with meeting other X owners that have painted the black part of the running boards to match, it usually does not hold up very well since there is so much friction and abuse to it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, thats what I figured. I just don't like the black stuff - those step pads, the one on top of the rear bumper, and the roof rack. Same problem if you tried to paint the bumper pad - thats why its unpainted to start with. Maybe I should have just bought a black truck to start with.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Yeah, thats what I figured. I just don't like the black stuff - those step pads, the one on top of the rear bumper, and the roof rack. ?Same problem if you tried to paint the bumper pad - thats why its unpainted to start with. ?Maybe I should have just bought a black truck to start with. ?

I wouldn't say that, I love your X and especially because it is white and unique. I want to get my rear bumper step pad painted black and smoothed out but of course the second a mark gets on there it will :censor: it up.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was just kidding about buying a black one. I know my limitations, and keeping a black truck clean is way beyond my scope. I spend WAY too much time at soccer fields with crushed limestone gravel parking lots (white). Besides, I really fell in love with mine because the pearl white paint is really distinctive, and I like how the contrast between the white pearl and the silver accents is a lot more subtle than the plain white/ Arizona beige on the Eddie Bauer's.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Jeff, Do yourself a favor and drive over to your local Ford dealer and look for one of the new monochrome XLT's on the lot. Many of these seem to be coming through without running boards, and IMHO they just look horrible. The 3rd gen design just shows WAY too much frame rail if the running boards aren't in place. Take em' off and you'll think you just raised your truck about three inches. Running boards always made a 2nd gen look lower and the 3rds really need the help. I like the fact that they keep a lot of junk off of the sides of your truck and help protect the paint.

And besides, yours looks GREAT!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Jeff, youre X looks great in that color, the silver bottom looks great too, that is the only year they did the Limiteds with the 2 tone.

I have different runningboards but I have had mine on and off several times, the best thing you can do is just take one side off and see how you like the look, I really like mine being off because IMO they are a pain in the ass, I dont step on them I step up over them, It makes is so much easier to get in and out with them off.

I do agree with 98X50, the new X's show way too much of the frame
thats kind of why I keep putting them back on but then I get tired of stepping over them and take them off again. I would like to figure out a way to leave mine on but move them in closer to the body so they are there for the "looks" but not completely in the way.

As far as the step pads being painted, I was going to have mine painted but my boards are dark and the pads dont stand out like they do on youres, It would look Great if you had them done but then you have the problem with people stepping on them. If they are prepped correctly the paint should stay on there but being stepped on would leave scratches.

I did have my rear step pad painted and I really like the way it looks (I just have to remember to be real careful when I step on it not to scratch it)

I look forward to hear what you deciede to do!

One more question, do you have that long plastic part that hangs down from the floor board behind the runningboards? I have seen this part on the 02's but they didnt put them on in 03, It kind of hides the frame.

OH yeah I forgot...........Drop that thing, it will look so much better

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'm going to leave them alone. I agree that if I took them off and didn't lower the truck, it would look like a lift. Also, I think there would be a nasty, very noticeable strip of white body work showing under the silver trim.

Also, on my way home from work tonight, a transport truck pulled up alongside me with two new Expedition Eddie Bauers on it. They have a new kind of color matched running boards. They look like they are solid plastic, all beige to match the Eddie Bauer trim. Only they are color molded, not painted. I suppose so they won't get scratched up. Problem is, the molded color doesn't match the paint at all. Looks like crap.

I'm really starting to like it just the way it is!!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Well I guess you will leave this like it is, it does look good like I said before

I think I am going to put mine back on tomarrow night (again :roll: ) I was just talking to my friend about it tonight. I have had them on and off so many times I just need to make some kind of "quick release" for them

I really really would like to find a set like mine in the chrome, I think that would look tight with the chrome wheels

·
Registered
640 Posts
Brad: You need to find a set of the chrome Limited running boards which will match those wheels.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, Brad. The 'Centennial Edition" models had a chrome step bar, and now its an option on Limiteds. I remember looking them up once. Think the official Ford everyday low price was around $700.00. Better sell some more wheels!!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Yeah, Brad. The 'Centennial Edition" models had a chrome step bar, and now its an option on Limiteds. I remember looking them up once. Think the official Ford everyday low price was around $700.00. Better sell some more wheels!!

Yep The 'Centennial Edition" is the first X I saw that had the chrome step bar and roof rack. I am not going ot hold my breath waiting to get a set of those, they would look great but thats alot of money!!

I just reinstalled my step bars (again) I am thinking that is looks better with the new wheels, makes it look lower.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Where did you get your grill from?

My grilles are Carriage Works.

I got them from Truckxpressions.com, but I SHOULD have got them from Flik (flikkustoms.com). Flik has just about the nicest 3rd gen Explorer anywhere, and he will beat any price.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Well....I'm a little late and looks like you already made up your mind. But, you know me...gotta chime in and give my opinion.

I think you should leave them on as well. It just looks cleaner
A friend has the NBX and had them put on because it didn't look so great.

I think you made the right decision

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Jeff, I was wondering what color youre "factory grille" is/was?

I saw a X like youres today (well like youres before you did all of the great looking mods) and it had a silver grille, I was wondering if youres came the same way of if they might have painted theres.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts