Explorer Talk banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
ICE does have a paste wax, aside from their liquid polish. I've used both products. I highly recommend the Mother's Polish FX Synwax though. I also have the powerball for paint and it kicks ass! If you have some extra dough, grab up some of this stuff I think you'll like working with it. FYI I was not very impressed the the ICE polish or the wax. The only thing I would ever buy again from that product line is the detailer spray. The liquid claybar is terrible too.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
^^ I gotta correct you, they do not have paste wax, they only got polish paste not wax..

Like Todd said, some are labeled incorrectly.. That is why I got confused after looking at ICE products

anyway, I pulled the trigger and returned everything and then bought everything made by Turtle Wax ICE.. and then I got the meguiars NXT 2.0 wax for the protection and extra shine..

hope it will come out good..

weather is not that great here yet.. I am hoping it would be better next week or later this week then I will be working on all 3 vehicles..

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
hey guys.. here is what i got for detailing our vehicles

down below is the cans i got for painting the hub of my rotors and calipers.. I am gonna do the hubs black, and the calipers silver

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Nice that's quite a shelf full of stuff! I recently used that same paint for my brakes. It worked well. I did use some primer prior to the color coats. That back to black stuff is amazing IMO.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Nice that's quite a shelf full of stuff! I recently used that same paint for my brakes. It worked well. I did use some primer prior to the color coats. That back to black stuff is amazing IMO.
really? people over at ca.com are saying back to black is garbage so.. I will try it myself and find out

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Both the silver and black haven't held up on my brakes. I don't know if there is anything besides powder coating that will stand up to the heat over a period of time.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
The back to black is the kind of thing that if you stay up on it, looks well. Here in AZ our plastic gets so dried out it really brings back the shine. And yeah I did check my Ice stuff at home and it was a paste polish so you were correct.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
hey guys, when is the best time to use rubbing compound to remove scratches?

before or after clay bar?

I just did clay bar yesterday right before it rained, and all I can say is wow, I am impressed with how clay bar works!! but sucks that it rained so I am gonna finish up with polish and wax when it is a better day (it is raining today as well)

I hope that it would be ok to use rubbing compound after i use clay bar.. but if not then i ll just use rubbing compound and then clay again..

It is kind of depressing to detail my explorer, i found SO MANY chips all over the body.. Michigan roads FTL!! it was in a pristine condition last winter!

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
The clay bar is for removing light built up contaminants from the surface. If you are working with a compound, those are serious paint removers, and will go deeper than a clay bar cleans. The clay bar I gather is good to use to avoid leaving things in the paint when you wax or do other non abrasive things.

If you have just mild scratches, be sure to only use a mild abrasive, not a heavy compound. Compounds come in lots of varying abrasives, be sure you use just enough for what you need.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Read the compound to see what it is for. Are you after tiny tiny scratches, little stuff that is normal wear from washing etc? If so then you only need a very light compound, basically a polish, many polishes are exactly for that. They will scratch new paint, rub a little on a brand new pain job and wow look at the scratches. That's mild compound, and just right for little scratches.

The heavy compound you have to be careful with, it will put scratches so deep that you must follow it with mild compound to remove the scratches from the other compound. They do work that way, you just need to identify what scratches you have, so that you get the mildest product to handle it.

If you are after anything but the tiniest new scratches, then skip the clay bar. Real compounds will cut deeper than what the clay bar will do. It takes very little effort with compound to remove some paint, by hand or machine. It sounds like you have some mild stuff, I hope so. That you kind use lightly with a mild buffer or by hand and remove basic surface scratches easily. The trick is what to follow that with, a product with less abrasives in it is needed next. That's why so many people use machines. You can go through a step in 10-20 minutes, and then 2-3 steps is not that big of a project. You don't want to be doing a 3 step by hand at an hour or more each. That's why you need to be careful picking how much abrasive you use, only use the least amount to get almost down to the deepest scratch. Each step removes some paint, so you want to make steps that in total, just get you to the bottom of the deepest scratch you start with.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
ok thanks for the advice.. I ll look into my compound..

My x doesnt need it at all but my dad's f150 will need plenty of rubbing compound lol..

I just finished detailing the body of my explorer recently in the garage since the rain would not stop..

I will have pics up soon

tomorrow I will be finishing up by cleaning the windows, vacuum inside, clean everything inside the x, and condition the leather seats.

my false floor should be coming in end of the week, also my stuff from knukonceptz should be here tomorrow as well

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I planned to but then a guy at ca.com offered me an insane deal..

he said he got plexis at shop for insane price so he was going to make me like 38x12 plexi on the floor but I told him it is not what I want so we worked it out and he made me a deisgn that I wanted.. more stock looking and all that

also I decided to let him do it because I realized that I do not have any right tools to build my floor, i dont even have saw n all that.. so decided to let this dude do it, but this guy seem to do really good job, he showed me his previous works n all that.. and for his price, i think no one could beat that

·
Registered
174 Posts
I use nothing but adams products. i dont waste my time with most of the store bought products cause they are never what they advertise. I have my own detail business i do in my spare time so have plenty of experience. As soon as I get a break in the weather I will do a full detail on the saleen and do a write up and have pics using adams products for any of those interested.

Joe

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I use nothing but adams products. i dont waste my time with most of the store bought products cause they are never what they advertise. I have my own detail business i do in my spare time so have plenty of experience. As soon as I get a break in the weather I will do a full detail on the saleen and do a write up and have pics using adams products for any of those interested.

Joe
Sounds good! You mean you use Adam's Polishes? I saw them around on internet before, looks like they got some decent products. I would love to step up to one of those kits. Maybe this summer I will be able to buy a kit and porter cable 7424xp polisher.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yep been using them since they started and love all there products. I guess i need to post a few pics of the cars I have detailed on here lol. there kits are well worth the money. Like is aid as soon as I get the time and the weather i will do a full detail on the saleen and post a write up with pics

Joe

21 - 40 of 41 Posts