Explorer Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats soem good ideas for the custom apten chip(www.apten-us.com).There are so many different options to choose and im unsure of what to pick from..Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Whats soem good ideas for the custom apten chip(www.apten-us.com).There are so many different options to choose and im unsure of what to pick from..Anyone have any ideas?
Matt (Black Magic) will definitely be able to help you on this one.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
CGAH02, Welcom first of all. Second, as for the Apten chip. It is the best chip out there hands down. for the programs available. It all depends on what you want to do with your Explorer. I would recomend the Flip Chip with a perforamce 93/performance 87/stock settings. If you want to ever add juice, then tell him and you can change a setting to include when the N20.

Let me know if i can help you out any further!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
haha. FYI this is "*******" from our old boards. If he ever gets nitrous he's gonna kill himself

He has an '02 Ex btw....isnt the Apten chip the only chip on the market that can reprogram the 4th gen computers?
:

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
I didn't know Apten made a chip for the 4th gen. X. I thought only Kenne Bell did. Shows what I know.

·
Registered
640 Posts
This is a good topic, especially since I am considering an Apten myself! The group purchase going on over at explorerforum.com is hard to resist. $50 off of a dual program chip is a real savings!

My ideas for a dual program chip are as follows:

First setting would be for as much performance as possible: 93 octane, most aggressive shifts, most timing advance etc. This would be the "battle "position. This would also be the postion I would alter in the future when other changes occur in my power "armada".

Second setting would be for 87 octane with the emphasis on improving the shift programs while still giving a mild power increase. Keep in mind how fuel prices jump and this makes sense. I don't want to be stuck having to run 93 all of the time, or without any improvements at all by turning it completly off.

What other ideas do any of you have? How about those who already run an Apten. What are your "tunes" and how do you like them?

Good topic!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
This is a good topic, especially since I am considering an Apten myself! ?The group purchase going on over at explorerforum.com is hard to resist. ?$50 off of a dual program chip is a real savings!

My ideas for a dual program chip are as follows:

First setting would be for as much performance as possible: ?93 octane, most aggressive shifts, most timing advance etc. ?This would be the "battle "position. ?This would also be the postion I would alter in the future when other changes occur in my power "armada".

Second setting would be for 87 octane with the emphasis on improving the shift programs while still giving a mild power increase. ?Keep in mind how fuel prices jump and this makes sense. ?I don't want to be stuck having to run 93 all of the time, or without any improvements at all by turning it completly off.

What other ideas do any of you have? ?How about those who already run an Apten. ?What are your "tunes" and how do you like them?

Good topic!
Wow, I didn't even know that was possible with the Apten chip! Wow, that's a perfect idea! I have a feeling with getting the same rims and a similar chip setup my truck is gonna be like a "mutt" of 98X50 and BM's Explorer

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Lol Rob that would be cool. I really would love to have an Apten chip. I also didn't realize the chip could do those things. Thats cool they could do that.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Thought I would update this topic since I recently installed my Apten chip and can now comment on it's qualities.

First of all, the Apten chip is worth every penny. It is simple to install and really works as well as everyone claims. I selected a dual program chip which offers me the ability to select between an 87 octane performance setting, and a 91+ octane setting. I can also turn the chip completly off if desired. Shifting qualities have been dramatically improved and I can notice a nice power increase, especially in the high octane setting. Fuel mileage is up by about 1-1.5 MPG and the overall drivability is wonderful. At this point I am 100% satisfied with this product.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Three questions about adding a chip:

1) Does it void your warranty?

2) Is it detectable if you get your truck serviced?

3) Does it shorten the life of your motor?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Three questions about adding a chip:

1) Does it void your warranty?

2) Is it detectable if you get your truck serviced?

3) Does it shorten the life of your motor?

The fact that the chips installation is next to invisible would lead me to believe that it wouldn't cause a warranty issue. Remeber it can be turned off allowing the vehicle to run on the stock computer tune. Of course, it may leave some "signature" or mark in the computer that may show up but I have no idea. Apten could verify all of this with a phone call or email I'm sure. As far as wear, I don't see an issue here either. Now keep in mind the chip can raise the rev limiter and speed limiter, so in theory increased engine rpm will increase component wear. The gains you will see in everyday drivability, firmer shifts, quicker acceleration and maybe increasd fuel economy aren't going to produce any negative impact in my opinion. Give Apten a call and check out their website. They are great to deal with and can answer any questions you may have in a more accurate manor than I can.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I have the Apten dual program chip with Stock, and 93, 87 performance. I love it. I bought it at the previous group buy over on EF. You can feel the difference on 87 with the firm shifts and altered shift points. I always have it on 87 performance, but I occasionally put it back to stock to remind me that this mod was worth it. 8)

I have not run 93 in it at this point, but my friend has. He has a '98 5.0 XLT with MAC intake, and that thing is amazing with even 87. The shifts are HARD. It completely changes your explorer. All who purchase will be satisfied (If you like power). The intake is also even louder. It almost screams

If you have any other questions, I can try to be more specific.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I am sending my Apten off to get reprogrammed this week. Have to have the cam and rockers added...

Like they have said - best chip out there.

P.S. - Brian is no longer at Apten from what I understand. He now works for SVT department.... 8)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I don't really know. I have been calling for a week asking for Brian, and the guy kept saying - "no, he's not here." Finally today, I asked if he still worked there, and he said no - that he is working for SVT.

:
:
:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts