Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to find out who has the leather arm rest lid on the consloe of there Limiteds. I have seen them both ways and I wasnt sure if it was a change from the 02 (without) to the 03 & 04 (with) or if they just came both ways?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I think its only on the newer ones - '04 for sure, I saw one at the Auto Show. Its a nice upgrade. I wouldn't mind having it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
No. They look much nicer. They are padded, and upholstered in leather or vinyl, nicely stitched at the seams. Like it should have been in ours

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I haven't actually looked into getting one, but I sure would like one. The Midnight Gray upholstery hasn't changed at all since ours were made, so this lid should be a perfect match. Its the same size and shape, and opens the same way, so I would imagine it would be an easy swap. Except Ford would probably want a small fortune for it. And if my friendly dealer is any indicator, it would take about a year, and ordering it 4 or 5 times, before you actually got it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
UPDATE

Ford-Parts.com lists an '04 Front Console Armrest Assembly, Black Leather. Says it fits 02-04 models

List price $150.87

Their Price $120.70

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well I'll be Damned, mine does have the leather center console armrest! I thought you all were nuts,a nd had to go outside and see for myself! I guess because it's been so cold since I bought mine, and I've had a heavy coat on every time I've been in the truck, I didn't even notice! I'll have to start paying closer attention to these little details! Thanks for pointing this out!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info guys & gals, I wasnt sure if the 02 had it or not, most of the ones that I have seen had the leather. I guess they changed if after the 02 (why does Ford do that crap :roll: ) I decided to order one but they only come in parchment or black, my interior is gray so I ordered the black arm rest and the back part of the console (where the vents/cup holders are) I hope it wont look too bad. I really like the padding and stitching on the leather ones so much better than the plain ones.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I sure will Susie.......I hope the parts will be in next week but sometimes interior parts take a while to get

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Oh that's great huh Jeff...they put the crap on ours and then start improving it

I thought I was doing pretty good getting a "2002 1/2" late production model, which has some of the things that the earlier '02 units didn't have yet. Like the safety canopy air bags, the adjustable pedals with memory, and the colr-keyed running boards.

Then in 2003, they come out with the rear seat video, AdvanceTrac was finally available, and the white Limiteds are monotone, which I kinda wish mine was.

For '04, the chrome roof rack, the second row bucket seats with the console .......

Its always something. When I was "less mature", this was the kind of thing that often led me to buying new cars way too often.

With this one, I decided to commit myself to having it for quite a while, and do mods to make it unique.

When I saw that '04 at the auto show with the leather console lid, my first thought was "Damn, mine should have that". And looking around, everything else about that interior was pretty much the same. So, maybe I'll get me one of these leather lids, and have Brad install some nice Mountaineer guages
and I'll be all set!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Actually the 03 X Limiteds came with the chrome roof rack. I don't understand why Ford wouldn't have the center console lid in the Midnight Gray cause mine is.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Actually the 03 X Limiteds came with the chrome roof rack. I don't understand why Ford wouldn't have the center console lid in the Midnight Gray cause mine is.

I think Brad has a gray cloth interior- his X is an XLT. I'm thinking the "black" lid is the right one for the midnight gray interior, which is what you, I and Susie have.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[..]

I think Brad has a gray cloth interior- his X is an XLT. I'm thinking the "black" lid is the right one for the midnight gray interior, which is what you, I and Susie have.

Yep, I just have the gray cloth, I believe to get the midnight gray you have to get the Limited or NBX. I figure that the midnight gray (black?) should look ok, I do have the leather steering wheel in black and I am replacing the arm rests and switch bezels in black so hopefully it will all kind of blend in.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
They only list four different armrest assemblies for '02-'04 models

Black (leather)

Graphite (vinyl)

Parchment (leather)

Parchment (vinyl)

Vinyl ones are only $45.00, maybe thats the crappy one we already have.

"Black" must be the match for the Midnight Gray interior.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My parts came in today...........I really like the padding in the arm rest

Before

After

Of coures it's dark outside so the pics aren't so great, the lid and rear trim panel are the "midnight gray" it doesnt look much different that the gray at night, I will have to check it out tomarrow.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts