Explorer Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my tire situation straightened out today and while I was there, I asked them what size tire would go on a 17 X 8 rim (I'm going to get some Cobra R's). They told me I wouldn't be able to use the tires I just bought. NO SH*T! :roll:

Anyway, I wanted to know what size tire on that rim would give me a comparable total diameter to what I have on there now (16" rim w/ 255/70R16 tires). So they look it up in the book and they say that Ford has a bulletin out saying not to use street tires. I told them I don't care what Ford says and my question still stands.

So they look it up again (turns out it's something like a 65 sidewall) and they tell me AGAIN that I have to use a truck/SUV tire. :roll: I tell them that I know of a website or two with hundreds (thousands) of folks that would disagree with them. I also asked them if they'd ever heard of a Saleen Explorer (proving that they do come with street tires) and they hadn't (no surprise there). They say it will get "squirrelly" on me (?) and that is why I have to use the truck tire. I say that a street tire would actually make the vehicle handle BETTER not worse especially in combination with an aftermarket sway bar (I'll put that on before I get the new wheels).

What a waste of 10 minutes. What cracks me up is that this is one of the bigger tire and auto places around here with 4 locations. I guess they don't want my business.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Could you explain what you are saying about the street tire thing, or the truck/suv tire?

Mine are truck/suv tires.

I think they just mean weight ratings.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Wow, steer the hell out of that place. Anyone who doesn't know anything beyond the very simple basics is NO ONE to do business with. I've walked out of several stores because they simply can't answer a question or two of mine, whether it be about computer or car parts.

Here's what I can tell you. My stock wheels are 16", with 70 profile tire just like yours. I got 17" Cobra R's and the guy put Dunlop 55 profile tires on it. I did some measurements and the height of the 17's with the 55 profile tire matches the stock setup exactly. So that would answer that question.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
At Advanced Auto Parts where I live. The guy did not know if my K&N Air filter came with a crome arm. I asked him to find out and he said there was not picture. Needleess to say I walked out and went down the road to Add On and they told me it did not, but they would give me 10% off because it was not in stock. So I hate Advanced Auto Parts

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could you explain what you are saying about the street tire thing, or the truck/suv tire?

Mine are truck/suv tires.

I think they just mean weight ratings.
That may be, in their roundabout ******* way, what they meant. They were basically saying that anything other than strictly truck tires (Wranglers, Duelers, etc) aren't supposed to be used, like Eagle GT2's or the Yokohama tires that I see a lot of people use. You know, street tires.

Thanks for the answer, Rob. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Nothing against any southerners, but I have this problem down here all the time. There must be something lost in the translation from northern to southern dialects. 8)

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Wilson, you should move back to the asphault jungle, you are not ******* material, and you aren't adapting very well.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Wilson, you should move back to the asphault jungle, you are not ******* material, and you aren't adapting very well.

:word:
We need you in Jersey

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True, I could never live in NJ again. I like being the smartest person in town.

I'm joking, of course. I really like it here but some people around here just kill me with the way they do things. Another example would be how my house is supposed to be done by 2/28, the date we're supposed to close. They told me a month ago they were going to start building. Think they have? :roll: There's no rush, really, just that they tell you one thing and do another.

I gotta tell you though, it takes me usually about 3 days before I can't stand it in NJ anymore. A year ago on Thanksgiving, I get off the plane in Philly, go up the runway, and a woman walks right in front of me and trips me with her suitcase. I fall on the floor in a heap (and I'm pretty athletic) and she just looks at me and keeps going. I loudly reminded her what it's like when you f*ck with a native New Jerseyan. That time took all of 5 minutes before I wanted to go back to SC.

I'm getting long winded (as usual) but I have seriously thought about moving back and then I realize how much better I like it here.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yokohama Avid Touring STREET TIRE

235/75SR15 105S SL 620 A B 2028lbs. 35psi 12/32nds 6-8.5" 6.5" 9.4" 6.4" 28" 721

SUV Tires ALL TERRAIN

Bridgestone Dueler A/T D693

235/75SR15 105S SL 300 A B 2028lbs. 44psi 12/32nds 6-8" 6.5" 9.3" 6.9" 28.9" 721

Notice the load capacity is the same (2028lbs) for both tires but the tread wear is noticeably different 620 for the street vs. 300 for the AT

If you don't take your ride off the road alot nor do you see alot of snow, why would you need the AT's then??

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exactly my point, mountaineer. You explained it much better than I ever could.

Now, those treadwear numbers, the 300 and the 620, what do they mean? In other words, does a higher number mean better treadwear?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Wilson I want to give you an update. I installed my new rims today and the width of my new setup (275/55/17) is NOT the same as my stock setup (255/70/16). There's roughly an inch difference. I suspect going with a 60 tread tire would make it even.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AHH....Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Even though a lot of people will tell me to go smaller, I doubt I would go smaller than a 55 but most likely a 60. I'm not lowering more than an inch so I want to make sure I can still fill up the wheel wells.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Exactly my point, mountaineer. You explained it much better than I ever could. ?

Now, those treadwear numbers, the 300 and the 620, what do they mean? In other words, does a higher number mean better treadwear?

The higher the treadwear, the longer the tire lasts.

Downside is, the higher the treadwear the worse the traction is, since the compound is harder.

On the back of my mustang i like to use tires with a 000 rating (i'm serious), they stick like glue, but only last like 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
:stupid:

yep higher the treadwear, the longer the tire lasts.

2000xp8 has a deep wallet, to buy tires every 5,000 miles:screwy:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts