Explorer Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I always wanted to run my truck on an autocross track, but i'm not really into destroying a set of brakes and tires in one day.

But it looks like i'll get my chance soo though if i so choose, Englishtown has added this http://etownraceway.com/ just click on road cousre to the left.

So, Johnny, how bad is it on the tires and brakes???

·
Registered
640 Posts
Out of curiosity, what other type of vehicles do you compete against? Is there some sort of classification for 4000lb+ suv's? I imagine it is quite fun, but a little scary too! That is a lot of vehicle to throw around.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Hey whats up Johnny! Wow your X looks great in action there. Definitely interesting to hear that you use it for autocross...definitely a rarity. Definitely post more pictures! And what modifications do you have done to it? I hope you're using either a Saleen or Explorer Express sway bar, that would make one heck of a difference for you! 8)

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Welcome Johnny!!!!
It must be fun autocross-ing an Explorer. I would like to do that but I would upgrade the rear sway bar at least.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am pretty much stock except the 2" blocks and the torsion twist up front. The brakes are factory and my truck is a 2001 and they brake just fine. My tires are just fine its not all that bad on them. I wanted to see how i could run without much suspension mods. I have ordered a Steeda rear sway bar and will be getting the front one soon. I have some plans for it. I got specail permission from the SCCA to run my truck. Its in the EM class because of my Diablo Sport chip. Its E Mod for Engine Mod. This past time was a school so they could see if my truck was stable and for having factory shocks and sway bars it did fine. I will be doing alot better with some new sway bars, shocks and wheels and tires. I went up against an Old Regal that was modified heavily and a Corrola that had like a turbo it was crazy. My best time for the course was 65 Seconds against the regal that had a 50 Second run. Not bad for an Explorer with Intake and Exhaust oh and the chip. Everyone was real nice and asked alot of questions. Some even though i owned some nice car just didn't bring it and ran my Explorer instead. Thanks for the comments guys and i hope to have more done for Autocross in January. I will post more pictures soon.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Question, on your Cardomain page why do you say you have an Eaton Supercharger then?
Not trying to be an ass, just curious.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Wow Rob that's like the 3rd or 4th time now. But that's ok. Someday you will learn to read.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Johnny, tell me more about this special permission thing, is that for all Suvs?

I'm very curious on the whole thing. So feel free to explain everything you know.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I emailed the chairman of the Gulf Coast Region SCCA and told him what i had done with my truck. Only suspension i have done thus far is the torsion twist and 2" blocks in the rear. I like it this way so i can add stuff as i get better and see how each part works. I told him that i have Flowmaster, MAC intake and the Diablo Sport Chip. This past time was a driving school so they let me this time because they could watch my driving and how the trucked looked. If i was 4x4 they would not let me at all. The rules say no vans, 4x4's or SUV's but since i am lowered they let me. It takes alot of convincing. It was funny when it was going through Tech Inspection the guy said so did you get some Milk and i said yeah and some bread lol. Its a blast but its not easy to get in it with an SUV. I do it because this is all i have plus i am the first Explorer to be in the SCCA heck yeah.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts