Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to the whole Ford Scene. Believe it or not the Lincoln is the first American truck I've owned. Before that it was Rice Burners with the exception of the Landcruiser I traded in for the Aviator. Anyways my plans for this vehicle are to:

- Lower it (The problem with this is there is only one place online that I've found that advertises the sale of a lowering kit for the Aviator, Eibach, which will lower the front 1.6 inch and the back 1.1 inch. I do not know what kind of difference this will make aesthetically but I do know I do not want to screw up the ride quality by lowering it too much. Any advice is greatly appreciated.)

- Add 20-22" Wheels

- Add Custom Grille

- and Upgrade Misc Portions under the hood. i.e. air filter etc for now

I have been reading in the other posts about adding sway bars before anything else to improve handling. Does anyone know if the sway bars made for the X will also fit on the Aviator and how hard is it to install? Also if anyone knows a good site for me to go to where I can research custom parts for the Aviator it would be greatly appreciated as well as wheels fro a good price.

Thanks ahead for any replies

Stro

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Welcome to the site! That is a very nice Truck! You will be very pleased with the Aviator.

The plans sound great! Don't forget an A/V System!

Also check out www.explorerexpress.com they have a lowering system for your truck too. An adjustable coil over shock setup looks very

Let us know what else we can try and help with. And make sure that you post alot and keep us up to date on the progress.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Welcome to world of modified Fords! We are currently working on a few items for the Aviator here at Explorer Express. I was able to get my hands on one recently and realized they have significant differences compared to the Explorer. I was able to take pictures, take notes and compare some items to Explorer parts that we have on the shelf. We are working on an intake and exhaust system for it. We will also have a hand held computer programmer for it in the near future.

We will also soon have the KW Suspension for it coming in early March. This is an adjustable coil-over shock set up that allows you to adjust from a 1"- 2.5" drop. This is sophisticated set up that will still maintain a good ride quality. We will try it first hand on our 2004 Explorer and will be able to offer feedback.

By the way, I was very impressed with the performance of this vehicle. The Aviator is like a GEN 3 Explorer on steroids! It will be a super performer once we get the mods ready for it. We will have all the details on our web site once these items are available.

Let me know if you have any questions.

John V.

888-EXPLORER (888-397-5673)

[email protected]

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
DAMMIT, I wish I had that Aviator engine. 302 hp. 8O

Welcome!

BTW, we'll be needing some pics. There's no way you're going to come here and not give us some pics.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
DAMMIT, I wish I had that Aviator engine. 302 hp.

Yeah, thats the engine that I based my "Explorer GT" concept on. I'm surprised Ford hasn't dropped it in some version of the Explorer yet.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Maybe they're listening...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I just went ahead and figured they weren't!!!!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
[..]

And maybe they're not...
Sorry just had to say it.
Of course, I was being sarcastic because God forbid that a large coporation actually listen to its customers and give them what they want.

You never know, though. Car manufacturers are trying new things nowadays like the Ford GT, for example.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I saw a GT last weekend at the Auto Show. Just might be worth selling the house and living in a cardboard box!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey I appreciate all the replies. I will post pictures of my stock Aviator when I can and I have a feeling John V will have the hook up soon. Thanks again but Ido have one last question: I have the Tire monitoring system on this truck, if I put custom wheels on it how doe this affect it?

Thanks again for all the replies,

Stro

G

·
Nice vehicle you have! Looks like you have a good game plan too!
Neighbor has one. Its really nice, and very different from the Explorer. It still suffers from the same headroom problem that the Explorer does. My head rubs off it!!!!
Let see the pics!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Headroom is no issue for me I'm 5'7" and taller than my wife and my kid I don't think we need to got there, which means endless amounts of room. LOL. Pics to follow soon I promise....

Stro

·
Registered
155 Posts
It should still be possible to change your wheels. We will have to analyze the system. The worst case would be some kind of light may appear after removing the stock tires? It is something that we definitely proceed cautiously with.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I know there's a guy who has an Aviator and has 20's or even 22's on it, I will e-mail him and see what he says about the tire monitoring deal.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Hello Stro, congrats. You have the chassis that we all wish we could start with.

Personally, I choose a vehicle I like, and make it into what I want.

You have the easiest road. It maybe not for you, but many people would like to change that intake with a 2003 Cobra, and drop in all the Lightning supercharger parts. Big project yes, and your engine has too much compression, but that's our hobby now(HIGH DOLLAR).

Best wishes, CDW

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Personally, I choose a vehicle I like, and make it into what I want. ?

This is exactly what I like to do!! Excellent way to put it.

You have the easiest road. It maybe not for you, but many people would like to change that intake with a 2003 Cobra, and drop in all the Lightning supercharger parts. Big project yes, and your engine has too much compression, but that's our hobby now(HIGH DOLLAR). ?

You can do all of these upgrades to an Aviator engine??
I had no idea. WOW, if I ever was in the market to get a 3rd generation Explorer, I would skip that and get the Aviator due to the performance potential!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts