Explorer Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i found out why i had no compression in one cylinder it was b/c one of the valves had a piece broken off on it and i dont know where that piece went . Instead of rebuilding one head do you think its better just to buy reman HEads? And if so where do i buy them ..thanx

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Did you have the head off the truck? How big of a chunk are we talking here? If it got crushed between the valve and the pistion that's pretty bad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did take the head off , the piston is fine all the cylinders are fine and the chunk that is missing is about the size of a pencil eraser but in a 1/2 moon shape at the edge of the valve.. It didnt look like the piston hit the valve it looks like it was just a casting problem ...I dont kno wwhere the missing chunk went ..its prob in the cat....I think i just may get a set of reman heads and call it a day ...what do you think ....

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Is there a head or machine shop by you? I'd get an estimate first on a head rebuild, and then one on remanufactured heads. And pick whichever is cheaper.

Try and take them to a place that specializes in heads, rather than one that subs it out. It's possible a port job with new valves and springs could cost you less than a remanufactured set.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts