Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Flik for a flawless transaction!

Some before and after pics of my grill. WOW the installatiom was a pain. I'm still not done with it. I have to sand and paint the inner lip. I figured that's a weekend project though. Anyway, here are the pics:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
NICE

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Wow that looks fantastic! I think you are the first person on our board with a red 3rd gen! It looks gorgeous!!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I really like the grille and the red color as well, did the upper grille come with that chrome edge around the bottom and sides? I have been thinking about one of those but never saw one on the new X's, I do like it

Looks good

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
That's HOT!! I'm lovin it!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I really like the grille and the red color as well, did the upper grille come with that chrome edge around the bottom and sides? I have been thinking about one of those but never saw one on the new X's, I do like it

Looks good

Sarek's is like that

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I love the way it looks. I now back in at work everyday so everyone who drives by sees it. :)

did the upper grille come with that chrome edge around the bottom and sides?

No. The chrome edge is from my original grill. To install it you have to cut out the center of the stock grill. The mesh is just an insert that uses the existing edge from the stock peice. It's not a full bolt on replacement like the billet ones are. It was a SERIOUS pain in the butt to do.

Oh, and if you're going to do this, wear mechanics gloves. I used a die grinder to cut the grill out, which of course was melting it as I went along. I would then just flake off the plastic that would "ball up" as a result of the melting. What I didn't notice was how bad that plastic was tearing up my finger tips as I went along. When i was done is when I noticed the blood. My finger tips look like a road map.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
well since I traded my chrome grille for a black one when I bought my X I dont guess I will be doing that mod, I dont think it would look as good without the chrome edge. I have a black grille and the one I had painted to match.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well since I traded my chrome grille for a black one when I bought my X I dont guess I will be doing that mod, I dont think it would look as good without the chrome edge. I have a black grille and the one I had painted to match.

Originally I was going to paint the edge to match. Until I saw it with the chrome edge though. Painted to match might look good though.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
well since mine is silver it may not stick out too much that it isnt chrome around the edge.... I will have to think about this some more.

I really like how good it looks on there

·
Registered
23 Posts
The speed grille looks great! Im going to be getting one myself. Just a thought to Brad, i have the same silver X as you, while the chrome looks good around the top grill, if you were to do the same thing with your black grille, it would be abetter match for the bottom since the bottom is surrounded by black. The chrome looks really nice on the red, but i think on our silver, the black would look killer! Just my opinion. Lenny

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Well I broke down and ordered a set, 2 hotty's just look too good

I will have a few options on grilles to cut up, I have a black one, a silver painted one and one on the way that is silver with the chrome edge (thanks to Jeff
) I will just have to see what one will look the best.

I am also going to attempt to make the fog lamp bezels have the same grilles as the upper and lower speed grilles. I also have a "parts" speed grille on the way (thanks to Rob
) and I just cut out the back of the fog lamp bezels (the flat part that has all of those fake holes in it) so sometime next week I should have all of the parts I need to get the job done

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Those fog light grilles are going to come out great, Brad!!!

Another example of your creativity and hard work paying off big time

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
well thanks Jeff but we will just have to wait to see if they will work
:

I really dont know how good it will look with all of those screws sticking out through the bezels 8O

j/k.............I just hope that chewing gum will hold up

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Go with the 'Type R' duct tape. You'll get a phonemenal horsepower increase, too.
( See the "I almost couldn't eat lunch thread").

1 - 20 of 23 Posts