Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the F-150 Speed grille came today and I was working on trimming it down to fit for an Explorer. All I can say is what a waste of money. I could bend the grille with barely any force. I could use regular scissors to cut through the cheap material, but it was a real hassle to perfectly make the other end bend properly to retain the contours of the stock grille. Ted I'm not sure how exactly you made yours fit right but all I'm saying is I worked on this for over an hour and got pitiful results. Once I finally had something close to the right fit, honestly it just looked rediculously ghetto. I refuse to put something this cheap and junky on my truck.

Do any of you know what I'm talking about when you've seen summer lawn chairs made out of this material? It looks the exact same except those obviously are an alloy and are strong enough to support the weight of a person. The point I am trying to make is that it looks like complete ASS on a car.

I'm very surprised these grilles are as popular as they are. I'm pretty pissed that I just wasted $187 for the top F-150 grille and the lower Explorer grille (oh whups! They forgot to even put that in the box even though I paid for it :roll: ).....

Once the lower Explorer grille comes I'll sell that right away but hopefully I can just get my money back. My advice to everyone is to not use these grilles. The actual grille materal is super cheap, and although billet grilles are "played out" they are infinitely better quality than this piece of crap.

If you want to waste your money, buy a Speed Grille. You won't be dissapointed.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Street Scene.

Sounds like user error to me.
(that's what I say to my co-workers all the time)

·
Registered
384 Posts
My Street Scenes grill is very well made. You couldn't bend it, and you sure as hell couldn't cut it with scissors. Something doesn't sound right with yours.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something doesn't sound right with mine either and thats why I was so damn surprised by what happened. The more and more I think about it the more I am pissed off, not to mention the money wasted.

Eric, what are you implying by saying "user error"....

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
That you suck...

I'm kidding, of course. I also think there's some problem, maybe manufacturing-wise, there. I helped my friend install one on his Ranger and it was pretty sturdy. I mean, I could bend it if I put some muscle to it but it seem strong to me.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's definitely a speed grille it even came with Speed Grille packaging materials/instructions, etc. I got it through FLIK. It's not his fault though. It's just lackluster quality on Street Scenes' end.

I'd take a picture but it's already in the trash outside. It looks exactly like explorerchic's (the build/design/color)....except its obviously just a huge one piece grille meant for a F-150.

·
Registered
107 Posts
that sucks!

i know a guy that put a modified f150 speed grill on an explorer w/ a mountaineer front end. it looked great from far away, but up close it was borderline-ghetto, and was rusty in spots if memory serves.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
That is not good. What kind of scissors were you using?

Sounds like user error to me.
(that's what I say to my co-workers all the time)
My computer teacher says it must be a "user issue."

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
WOW that sucks, I was just about to order a set for mine. I know the one that I saw on that 04 F150 last weekend looked like it was well made and I pushed on it and if flet pretty strong, it was on the 4x4 so it wasnt the 1 piece grille.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Wow Rob that really sucks. I didn't know those grilles were do cheap. I'll definately be skipping that mod. Sorry to hear about your waste of money.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Rob what color was it and is there anything left of it at all? I sent you a pm

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was brushed aluminum but looked silver. Not chrome though. Let me check my PM's...

Anyway I just used regular stainless steel scissors. I was able to cut right through it. I ordered the GrillCraft black grille and that is on the way, those are made out of steel and look to be MUCH better quality.

Ryan I don't think you should completely skip out on the mod, for one thing they do look amazing on Sports/Sport Tracs but also I recommend going with the GrillCraft then. Basically the same look but much better quality and also you can get them in black, silver, or white. Silver would probably make the most sense but I definitely think you should do something with your front end.

I'm not a fan of the Sport/Sport Trac billet grilles though...

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another thing that I just don't get is I took a look at some pictures of up close shots of them on Explorers (both 2nd and 3rd gen) and its the EXACT same honeycomb (basically a honeycomb) mesh design. I just don't get it. It looks *amazing* on 2_hotty's Explorer (totally transformed the look of his X) and even Ted's, who basically did what I tried to do.

I don't know honestly - it's really, really strange.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Now that TAS says that I'm thinking that it has something to do with the fact that mine was molded to fit, with the rounded edges. Another words, I never weakened the original structure by cutting it. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Now that TAS says that I'm thinking that it has something to do with the fact that mine was molded to fit, with the rounded edges. Another words, I never weakened the original structure by cutting it. Does that make sense?
Yes I think that has something to do with it. The rounded ends make the material sturdier. Once it's flattened, it becomes flimsy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts