Explorer Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well... Im a new guy =) I have a 91 4wd 4.0 and I when I got it the breaks adjustment was meesed up and would keep the pad on the rotor. and it overheated bad but i fixed that and im not sure if thats the reason it overheated but i changed the thermostat and its hasint overheated yet but ive been pumping it with anti freeze. not where where its going but when its really cold i start and drive and theres alot of whitesmoke coming out of my exhaust and it smeels sweet. hasint happend in awhile but the anti freeze is dirty brown.

What are soom good ways to check to make sure and i want to keep this guy just need some ideas what to do.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
That description has blown head gasket written all over it.

Driving a car with a blown head gasket is a sure way to ruin an engine completely.

It's an expensive job usually to fix, so have a good mechanic check it out to make sure the engine is worth fixing, people sometimes pay to have them fixed and yet the lower end of the engine has already washed out the bearings and therefore is not worth the trouble.

Usually when you lose coolant, and it's not on the ground, it's a very bad thing.

Basically a blown head gasket is the gasket between the head and engine block is bad, the coolant leaks into the cylinder on top of the piston, then the engine burns it, but some gets in the oil. And as i'm sure you know, water and oil don't mix well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to pay big bucks for this **** huh?

do i have to pay him to just check to see if its worth fixing?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Yeah, that sounds like a blown head gasket.

2000xp: That isn't to bad to fix usually, but I don't really know how tight the space is on a 1st gen. A torque wrench and a weekend?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Whether they diagnose it for free is up to your mechanic, some will, some won't.

dvorak, ya it could be a full day with a wrench, i'm also not sure the engine layout in that model explorer.

If it's a straight six, that would certainly be easier.

But i really don't know, and worst thing still, is if the head is warped, then you are really screwed.

I'd say to do a Head gasket change properly, your tools and skills as a regular backyard mechanic need to be an 8 of 10.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Yeah, I would agree with that.

It could be difficult if the head is damaged, that kinda determines the costs.

So make sure to inspect everything carefully.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Mr Positive strikes!!

lol don't scare away the new members! :D

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Sorry, get some of that anti-freeze/oil mixture at Autozone. It will be fine for another 100k.

Sorry, didn't mean to seem negative.

Welcome to site of course!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Sorry, get some of that anti-freeze/oil mixture at Autozone. It will be fine for another 100k.

Sorry, didn't mean to seem negative.

Welcome to site of course!
Hahaha, not that me and Joe were eagerly positive either

Back to topic:

Let us know how it goes with the gaskets/heads

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the thing is that the whitesmoke doesnt come out all the time only when its been cold and only when i started it once and awhile. i can see anti freeze drip down so idk what else it could be.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
It's worse when it's cold because the metals haven't expended because of heat yet. So when the engine is warm it would seal up a little better, but not enough anyway.

I would still bet it's a blown head gasket, fix it before the engine becomes really damaged.

Have you checked your coolant level? If you have had a leak for some time be cautious, you might have lost some. Not cool to be stranded because of that.

As Joe said, it probably leaks into the cylinder and burns away with the exhaust, thus creating white smoke. It's not certain you would see that leak at all until you take your head off.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
If you think it's leaking under the hood somewhere, get one of those kits that attach to where your radiator cap goes.

Has a gauge and a hand pump, and pressurizes the system, forces the fluid out any weak spots.

And you can watch the gauge and tell if the system is hold pressure.

If the heads are prone to cracking like todd says, you may want to forget about the whole engine.

Between the cost of the head, and the head gasket job, you may very well exceed the value of the whole truck.

IMO, if you want to fix it and it is a HG problem, just get an entirely new (used) engine from the junkyard.

May cost you less, and you'll get more.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have fixed a few, and take off your rad cap and see if it bubbles or blows out. It sounds like a cracked head as when it cools and the motor is not running it spews a bit of anti into the cylinder. Then you notice it more when it is cold and smokes. If you have sweet white smoke you are burning antifreeze. 1st gens are known to overheat and / or crack the heads and head gaskets. They had a design flaw of leaking heater cores, looses alot of fluid after some time and then over heats and bam you loose a head or gasket.

Head gasket set was like 150 bucks, and takes about 6-8 hours for your average mechanic to tear down and put back. The hard part is exhaust manifolds, leave them on and unbolt exhaust flanges. Little bit of a pain to remove the head but saves busted exhaust manifold bolts.

Head bolts are also stretch bolts, supposed to be replaced when removed. I replaced on one X and didnt on the other. Neither had problems afterwards.

heads cost me 150 each....

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
These heads sound like the one that was on my old starion TSI.

Used to blow a HG then crack between all the valves. (or vice versa)

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Do anyone know if the Haynes manual covers head gasket work?

I'm thinking of buying one

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
For the most part you don't need a manual to replace a HG, basically you need gaskets for whatever you remove, and a set of Head bolts, since head bolts are TTY, they can only be used once, unless you buy ARP head bolts.

Tips and hints on the internet are probably better than standard manuals anyway.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
For the most part you don't need a manual to replace a HG, basically you need gaskets for whatever you remove, and a set of Head bolts, since head bolts are TTY, they can only be used once, unless you buy ARP head bolts.

Tips and hints on the internet are probably better than standard manuals anyway.
Yeah, true. But I like the manual with all the collected data about the car. Like at how many lbs/ft the nuts should be tightened. I also like the reference pics.

The more info the better :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man, I'm pretty sure blown hg.

Not sure if an engine is cheeper or the work.

ive never done engine work.

What do you guys think I should do?

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
The value of the truck is not the greatest, unless you are somewhere like Canada. If you had access to a cheap used engine, that may be an answer. I have a 93 engine that I would sell for $250, those deals are out there sometimes. Good luck,

1 - 20 of 30 Posts