Explorer Talk banner

Brake Bleeding

9K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  joey50 
#1 ·
Hi, I have 2001 Sport Trac, I need to bleed all the brakes but I'm having trouble finding the correct wheel bleeding sequence , can anyone help me out?
Thanks
Joe

#4 ·
The ABS box is almost always right next to the master cylinder. It is easy enough to just trace the lines to it. They're both placed relative to the booster, in line with the brake pedal.

#6 ·
PB Blaster and a good quality line wrench go a long way. Those and line nuts are among the most annoying fragile things on a vehicle besides the plastic tabs holding trim panels on !

#7 ·
Did the PB but already rounded off the R/R bleeder nut, I just picked up this truck about a month ago off a guy who's the original owner. Every thing he had done was by the dealer, he gave me a stack of receipts 2" thick he also told me he never had rear brakes put on, 168000 miles so I'm going to put 2 new break cylinders and shoes, I think its about time.
Thanks again for your help
Joe

#8 · (Edited)
Yeah I live where winter snow results in salted roads and rust can be an issue. While I'm usually not a snob about hand tools, I bought a nice high tolerance line wrench to get the best fit possible on those and the brake line nuts.

It fits so good that sometimes I have to take a file or sandpaper to nuts to get the wrench on but then it fits so snug that it greatly reduces the chances of rounding one off.

Hopefully you can get the brake hoses off the cylinders. It's probably due for new hoses too, and they're only about $15-20 each online at Amazon or Rock Auto, BUT if you do live in an area where things rust, you might end up damaging the hard line trying to get the soft hose line off of it. I ended up having to replace the hard line from the front ABS to the rear left due to that.

The hard line that runs left to right along the rear axle is also prone to rust out, partially because (at least on my '98) there are no rear wheel well liners (came that way from the factory) so the rear wheels throw the salted snow up at that brake line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.