1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Nice! How much did it cost you to do the montone look up front?

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Very nice Explorer!!! Nice to see you made it over here from FTW and SUVW!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did all of the painting my self for a grand total of....drum roll.....$34 including a sport truck magazine. I did however spend all day working on it.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Wow for $34 bucks that is one good lookin job!! I thought you had taken it to a body shop. Props to you for the beautiful outcome!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks...I am not really finished I need to do another layer but they ran out of my paint..after I do one more coat and then my clear coat it will be complete. Thanks again

·
Registered
13 Posts
looking sweet man, im looking to get my billet grill soon on my X, and some other things but im really liking the way it looks, paint looks great too

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A Better pic of new paint:

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Whoa. Brandon that kicks ass. Looks awesome. You did all of that yourself? Got any info on it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
for the grill I started out sanding with an 80 grit, then 180 then 300 then wet 300, then I primed it (2 layers) then painted. Same process with the chrome on the bumpers but I started with a 40 grit. I painted the aplstic trim along time ago by just spraying it on. However I am going to have to fix that soon. I would recommend sanding and priming prior to painting the plastic also. I used Omega Auto Sanding Primer, and Plastic Kote code 630 black spray paint. Hope that helps.

Later

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Awesome. I notice you have the eBay billet grill. Whenever you get the cash (I know you just got bummed by the Speedgrille) I recommend you invest in a EE billet grill. You won't be dissapointed.

I too started out with an eBay billet grill and the difference in aesthetics, quality, and durability is uncomparable.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I am going to fab a speed grill. Tas98XLT from the explorerforum has shown me the light =)

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Yeah, his looks absolutely phenemonal. I don't blame you for a second with going for that over the EE billet grill. I'll still stick to my billet grills though.

Back to painting the trim panels, I thought about doing it myself, I even bought some of the supplies a long time ago (sometime last June) but I just never had enough time to do it with work and also the humidity & weather in NJ during the summer is just NOT ideal. It would've been a huge project too. I'm hoping that I'll just save up enough money to have it done professionally. We'll see. I also question the durability + longetivity of doing it yourself, especially in weather climates like upstate NY and NJ.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeh I am somewhat worried about how mine will last but we will see. Tas spent $1600 on his paint job. I would never be able to spend that kinda money personally but it paid off for him.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
$1600? Good lord what did he just get the whole car repainted?

To paint just the trim and an airdam would cost a very small fraction of that. I can't believe he paid so much.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The paint job set me back $1600. The parts that I had done were the grille, front and rear bumpers, those side skirt things, splash guards, rear door handle molding, mirrors, and EE airdam. The guy did all the prep work and smoothed out all the plastic.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Ah, well he mentions plastic but for the front bumper, unless it changed with the 99-01's, its more of a rubber cladding, not plastic. That would take a hell of a lot of prep work.

I have smooth gloss 'sport trim' (like the sport trim texture on 3rd gens) on mine, no rubber whatsoever, so it should be a crapload cheaper. I know people that got an airdam painted, and their trim painted to match the car paint for ~$400-650.

I sure as hell would never pay 1600 for that, I would learn to deal with it (two tone look) unless I had a crapload of money I had nothing else better to use for (never going to be the case). :|

1 - 20 of 21 Posts