Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While waiting for the forums to re-appear, I checked out another Explorer forum. I read about splicing in a switch that could be used to keep a 4Auto-4High-4Lo system in 2WD only.

Has anyone here tried this ?

Did it improve MPG ? Save wear/tear on parts ? Or worse, lead to problems ?

Any comments ?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I have tried it, and used it for about half a year now. I have had no problems, except when I was trying to go up a snowy hill in 2wd auto, I had the wheels spinning for quite a while. Both 4wd lights started flashing on and off. I then immediately turned 4x4 on again, and they still flashed and almost no power was sent to the front wheels. After restarting the truck, there were no further problems.

I have not really seen any gain in MPG because all the front shafts are still spinning. Acelleration has improved in 2wd though.

Despite the problem I had, don't be turned away from this mod. I think Excessive wheel spin caused a sensor to think there was a problem. This mod was done to my truck this summer and that was the only problem. I shouldn't have tried to go up that hill in 2wd anyway.

EDIT: Dognuts are fun too, and this is one reason I did it I like to slide around on the snow. I have tried to limit my sliding because it can become addictive and hard on the car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have had this mod for about a year, and the only problem i had was replacing tires more often cause i keep on doin burnouts
, the MPG is a little better

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I have had this mod for about a year, and the only problem i had was replacing tires more often cause i keep on doin burnouts ?
, the MPG is a little better

I laid three feet of rubber in front of my neighbors house LOL. I felt it was too hard on the tranny and brakes to be doing burnouts, so I stopped after that.

Do you have the SOHC or OHV motor?

·
Registered
63 Posts
OHV

·
Registered
98 Posts
I did this about three months ago and so far so good. The MPG really doesn't change that much, i maybe gainedt 10-15 more km than i usually do on a full tank. Also like 99SportX said, the acceleration is a bit better in 2WD. I hooked mine up using a relay just to be safe. If you want i can explain how i wired it.

Hmmm that awesome that you guys can spin the tires. The only time i can get them to really spin in on wet surfaces. On dry pavement they don't spin at all but they do chirp off the line. I have a 97 with the SOHC, i guess i just got good tires or something.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I think I am going to rewire mine with a relay because the switch gets warm when on. I think it is a high Amp switch though. Also, I want to get some more stylish looking switches which might not be able to take enough current.

I don't really ever try to spin my tires on dry pavement, although It might be possible. On a wet road, I can have them spin forever. If you hold the brake and slowly give power until the rear tires spin at a standstill, it is cool, but bad for the car. Lay some rubber man!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Lay some rubber man!
?
I baby my X to the point that I make sure when I accelerate that the tachometer needle doesnt get past 3000. I guess i kinda gotta do those kinda things with a high mileage x.

Im a bit confused tho, I can still do doughnuts when i have it in 2wd without doing all that wire work. How is yours different? Did I miss something, or am I just tired?

G

·
[..]

?I baby my X to the point that I make sure when I accelerate that the tachometer needle doesnt get past 3000. I guess i kinda gotta do those kinda things with a high mileage x. ?

Im a bit confused tho, I can still do doughnuts when i have it in 2wd without doing all that wire work. How is yours different? Did I miss something, or am I just tired? ?

hey man, i'm the same way with the rpms, but if i feel i want more acceleration up a hill i let the rpms go wherever they want...

But about the switch and the brown wire mod, this is ONLY FOR THE SWITCHES THE SAY AUTO/4HI/4LOW Ur switch reads 2wd/4HighAuto/4Low. You can not just lock in 4 high, thats the difference...when i get a chance i'll post the pic of my nob.....

G

·
see the harder and faster the engines rpms are the better mine shifts...i don't get it...
: ...but i try not to be hard on it just because i don't want a new tranny...

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
No need for the mod, I have a real 2wd then 4x4 high, & 4x4 low range. ?

You suck
I want a selectable 2WD so bad so I can do occasional burnouts but primarily so I can save
on gas

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
[..]

You suck ?
I want a selectable 2WD so bad so I can do occasional burnouts but primarily so I can save
on gas

Do the brown wire mod. You will get six drive modes 2wd Auto, 2wd High, 2wd Low, and the ones you already have. 8)

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
[..]

Do the brown wire mod. ?You will get six drive modes 2wd Auto, 2wd High, 2wd Low, and the ones you already have. ?8)

I'd like to but at the sametime I'm not sure if I want to fuss around with that crap.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Thats cool. I never knew other Xs didnt have 2WD. I like having 2wd, especially for the winter
Plus it saves on gas mileage and wear, doesnt it?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I'd like to but at the sametime I'm not sure if I want to fuss around with that crap.

Are you worried that you will break something and have costly repairs? I was, but on www.explorerforum.com there were some people who had been driving in 2wd for a long time with no problems. After reading this, I made an educated (or uneducated) decison to do the mod. I was happy with my decision, because my CV's were making weird noises in 4wd. 2wd got rid of the noises because there is no power going to the front shafts to put stress on them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts