Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like my stock grill. However, I hate the hole in my bumper, it looks like something fell off. Does anyone know where I can get a lower grill that looks like the stock one?

Also, my bumper didn't come with driving lights. I have already picked out the ones I want but I was wondering if it was better to have them connected to the headlights, so that they are on when the headlights are on, or on a different switch?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
I really can't think of any lower bumper grille that matches the stock look. Anything I've seen is either the billet, speedgrille, or grillcraft. None are even close to stock. As far as the fogs, I'm the type of guy that drives around with the fogs on whenever my headlights are on, never one or the other. So in my case, I would want it wired so that everytime I flip the headlights switch or when they come on automatically, that my fogs would come on.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Rob. I guess I need to pick out an aftermarket grille. And wiring the lights to the headlights makes sense, it will also save me time trying to figure out somewhere to put a switch.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Exactly, it will be more "factory"...nothing worse then seeing an interior full of switches and slaughtered interior pieces

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
The only lower grille piece that I have found is a billet one that matches the main billet grille that goes up top. You can get those from stylinconcepts.com I also drive with my fogs on all the time with my headlights and sometimes with just the parking lights.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rob--I definetly agree

Ryan--thanks, I will check out that site, I didnt want to go with the billet, but it is better than a big hole in my bumper.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i have tow hooks so about half that space is filled with the licence plate. i took off the front plate and will put in piaa driving lights.

i sug more lights if you dont put in a grill.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
The wiring for the factory fogs should already be in place, you just need the radio bezel with the fog switch. you can use this wiring to activate a relay for your new fogs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I couldn't remember if I had tow hooks, had to go look, dont have them, I dont know if I can fill up that big hole with lights, how would that look?

I hope I already have the wiring for the fogs, that would make things easier. But being a blonde I dont understand what a radio bezel is, does that mean I need a switch or are they wired to come on when my headlights are on?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
The radio bezel is the black (or maybe silver) trim peice surrounding the radio. It has the rear wiper switch, rear defrost and 4WD switch. If you want it to be factory, you need bezel with the hole cut out in it for a factory foglight switch. The fogs will then only come on if you have the parking lights or headlights on, assuming you have your new switch on.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for explaining that to me, i dont think i have a place for a factory switch but i will definetly check tomorow

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
You don't have a place for the stock switch which is why you need to get a new center bezel piece, if you want to use the stock location.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
You could just use the wiring already in place, just extend the wires and put in another switch wherever you want it. It would work just the same, and be cheaper. There are four wires, though, and I don't know which one does what.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I don't know where to find a wiring diagram, but I am not sure if the relay and fuses are already in place. You may have to install them to make the wiring work. Pretty easy, just pop them in (in the right place).

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I have extra a radio bezel with the hole for the fog lamp switch, it is for a 2 wheel or all wheel drive, it dosnt have the place for the 4x4 switch.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Now all you need is a switch. If you need the wiring diagrams, I have then on a Chilton manual. I could scan them and e-mail if necessary. I just hope the wiring colors are the same as a '99.

If you get the bezel, you could paint it body color to brighten up the interior. Many people have done this, but I don't know what it would look like white.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks 99Sport, I never thought about buying a manual for it, duh, blonde moment
I do plan on painting the radio bezel, and a few other accent peices. I plan on going with blue neons, so I didnt know if I should use white paint or blue. White usually gets dirty looking easier, so I cant make up my mind. I could always go carbon fiber, but I dont know how that would look with the blue lights, decisions, decisions.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts