Explorer Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a tutorial or anything on installing the cam kit for a '99 X Sport? I got my cams delivered and I'd like to install them myself and roughly align them so that I can drive it to get a professional alignment.

I've heard mixed stories about the difficulty in installation. Some say it was easy and some say it was tuff.

Also, what's the technique for turning the cams to get the wheels into a rough alignment? I've heard that I can use a magnetic angle finder (attached to the rotor) to get a close-to-oem adjustment after jacking up the suspension to the proper ride height.

P.S. There must have been a way to aligh wheels before lasers existed.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
They're not hard to install. Basically loosened them up, and pop them out. Just bolts and nuts basically. As for alignment, just eye ball it, you use the head of the cam bolt to bring the control arm out/in. When you get them on there you'll see whats the max and min amount you can turn them. If your truck is still at stock height, then put the cams halfway between max and min turn. Just an estimate of middle ground.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure I follow. Do I turn the head of the cam bolt with my wrench? If so, wouldn't this loosen the bolt?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Well, first you loosen the nut. Then you turn the bolt head to turn the cam bolt and cam to adjust. Then you tighten the nut back up. The cam bolt/cam shouldn't turn when you tighten the nut. If it does, then hold the bolt head with a wrench.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. I assume then, that the bolt is not round on the cam side? It just seems to me that the weight of the control arm/wheel would tend to force the wheel into more positive camber if the cam were allowed to "spin" on the bolt.

I guess I'll just see when I go to install.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotcha. I actually have the other kind. They're black and they have more of a cam shape to them. I assume those are fairly similar. I'll have to look when I get home.

Thanks for the lesson, Muncheese.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
No prolem.

Yeah, I seem to be the only one with these. I asked jamest over at ef he said he got napa ones but they had a flat side to them. They worked and are holding up so I'm not too worried.

·
Registered
155 Posts
These camber plates are not that difficult to install. They are located on the outside of the upper a-arm. You can see my guy Ronnie B. installing them on a brand new 03 Sport. Once you have them installed you will rotate them inboard as much as possible to remove the negative camber. The alignment shop will dail in the camber and toe on a machine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts