Explorer Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does my 5.0 have roller lifters? I believe I read that it does. What would you recommend for a camshaft? I saw this one on truckperformance.com (I know it can be found cheaper): http://truckperformance.com/products/?sear...V8+%28Roller%29

I'm looking to do this once we move to the new house and I have a garage at my disposal. Is there anything I should know about when looking for a cam?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I don't know much about cams but it seems that the E303 cam and 1.6 roller rockers would be the best bet with the stock 5.0. Rocket had the E cam and Section525 on EF just did a swap not too long ago, so I will be going this route as well.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm........do it first so I can get some tips.

Yeah, I'd definitely like to do this. I'm approaching 80,000 miles and am looking at replacing a couple of other things like the head gaskets and such. Of course, this will be after I buy a second car sometime this spring.

BTW, when you say "E303" is that something I have to get from Ford or is just a type of cam that different manufacturers make?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Wilson, first off let me say DO NOT TOUCH YOUR HEAD GASKETS. (if you think i'm yelling at you, you are right, i am).

ford 5.0 headgaskets are super reliable, rarely do they blow on a stock motor that has been taken care of, touching them will only make them weaker.

If you use an e-cam, you can use 1.72 roller rockers, you'll also need new valve springs. A used e-cam or equivalent, or sometimes unused can be found on ebay for between $100-$150.

You do not need to take the heads off to do the springs or the cam.

Personally i wouldn't use an e cam, a year or two ago i would of, but there's many better cams out there. I did use one on my mustang, but i didn't have the x yet, and the motor was apart and needed to be fixed immediately.

The letter cams B, E, f, x are all ford motorsport cams, but they are all really made by crane, same with the Roller rollers FMS sells.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mental note: DO NOT TOUCH HEAD GASKET. Understood.

You said there are better cams so what cam should I use, then? Or maybe I should say, what cam would YOU use? And, do I reuse the stock roller rockers or do I need new ones? I remember you saying something in the past about upgrading them with the cam and if you didn't you would end up doing it eventually anyway.

So my shopping list is:

- camshaft

- valve springs

- roller rockers ?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Well eric, here's the part that becomes preference.

I personally wouldn't change the cam without changing the RR's, but it's not neccessary.

I'll research what cam all the mustang guys use with the p heads, give me a few days.

You kind of have to decide if you want 1.6 rr's or 1.7 rr's. They both change the lift on the cam differently. I know from experience that 1.72 rr's with an e cam is the max lift with the cam, but the valve springs become weak very quickly. I believe 1.6 rockers allow for more cam choices, but are not optimal with the E.

I'll try and find you some reading material on cams, lift combos. IMO it's really not an easy thing to explain. Not to mention i don't have all the real answers, but i do know that people are shying away for the e cam more and more.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate it. Let me know what you come up with.

BTW, I'm late responding because my comp has been down at home.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am a 94 Cobra owner, With a stock block B-303 cam, GT-40 Y heads, Motorsports R-lifters, 1.7 RR. If you do deside to take the heads off don't worry. Use Motorsport head gaskets, They are better than you think. Also i would port match all the gaskets, and 3 angle valve job. Just to let you know 96 5.0 motors have the same GT-40 steal heads my car came with.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I am a 94 Cobra owner, With a stock block B-303 cam, GT-40 Y heads, Motorsports R-lifters, 1.7 RR. If you do deside to take the heads off don't worry. Use Motorsport head gaskets, They are better than you think. Also i would port match all the gaskets, and 3 angle valve job. Just to let you know 96 5.0 motors have the same GT-40 steal heads my car came with.
?

I agree, if you mess with the cam, might as well port the heads, you'll have most of the engine apart anyway.

As your daily driver though, i wouldn't mess with your head gaskets yourself, i feel that i've know you long enough eric, to say this wouldn't be a good first 5.0 project in your garage. If i'm not mistaken your x is what get's you around all the time, having a professional do it, would give alot more peace of mind. Besides if you screw the head gasket up, and water gets in the oil and you don't know it, your motor is done. If you went the heads route i recommend a professional. I pull my mustang apart, but most of the time it sits anyway, and i have plenty of time to get it right.

But snakebyte, you had gt40 iron heads on your 94 cobra, explorers have gt40p heads. The spark plug angle is significantly different.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes i know about the gt-40 p heads, In 96 the heads were the the same has mine. Ford realized that you couldn't get to change your spark plugs, So they angled the plug straight.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think I would mess with the head at this point. As it is, I have my cousin coming down from NJ to help me with the cam when I'm ready (he's a Ford mechanic). I'm capable of doing it myself but I've never changed out a cam so I'd rather have a Ford mechanic at my side when I do. Besides, there's an alterior motive in having him come down and help: he'll take over and do it all while I take notes. That's how he was when the head gasket went in my Ranger.

BTW, he talks up that E-303 cam a lot. He has one in his Mustang and his Bronco.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hey Wilson I dont know what your plans are now being that this is a month later than the last post or so. But here is some more info if ya want it.

First off let me start by saying that the stock 5.0 explorer rockers are not, I repeat not roller rockers, they are stamped steel rockers. (NO ROLLERS). The roller rockers decrease friction which increases valvetrain life and ups power too. Also our trucks cams are hydraulic roller cams thus using roller lifters, not flat tappet lifters like the old ones did. Stock rocker ratio for the explorer is 1.6 The E-303 cam while being alot better than the stocker, could be better. By the way Crane's version of the FMS E-303 cam is called the Crane #2040 cam. If ya really want a good cam for your truck then get a custom grind if ya want to afford it. Also if I were you I would most likely stick with 1.6 rr's and not opt to go with the 1.7's. The only reason being is that the 1.7's up your powerband about 1,000 rpms. While that is fine for cars, our heavya$$ trucks dont benefit from it without the use of a higher stall torque convertor and other things. Only way I would go with 1.7's is if I was going with a supercharge or if I was going to really race it at the track in some sort of competition. Also whenever Hope this helps you more. Rob

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Eric - have you done this yet?

I am going out of town next week, but when I get back I am putting in my E303 and 1.6's, plus a few other things to freshen it up some. While I've got the Eaton sent off - seems like a good time to get this done while its taken apart...

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, I haven't but I still plan on it. I was investigating in advance just to get some ideas. I plan on doing it after I move to the new house in a couple weeks, probably do this sometime this summer. I want to wait until my cousin (the Ford mechanic) can come down to help (do everything for me 8) ).

Thanks for that info, Rocket. That actually explains a lot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts