Explorer Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and good evening to fellow members,

I just joined the forum today. Needed a little bit of help from the experts and enthusiasts here as I spent a lot of time researching and could not find the answer over the internet.

I am attaching a picture here. I hope I attached it correctly. Can someone please let me know what this part is called? I googled the image of the car and circled the area as I don't have my car with me right now. My wife actually drove further than she should have inside the garage :)thumbsdown:) and broke this black plastic piece. When I google all I see are grills which this is not. I am trying to see if I can find this over the internet and purchase it separately so if the experts can please guide, I would really appreciate.

While you guys are at it, I am also looking for a replacement hood. OEM or after market either one would work. I noticed that hood has paint bubbled and my Explorer rolled over 36K miles last month so Ford said there is no warranty. Sucks big time as now I have to get it taken care of out of pocket. Repairing is useless since it will come back again so I am thinking replace the whole hood. It is a 2017 XLT in Canyon Ridge color and is the sport package (with those black rims).

Would OEM be the best option? Or is after market with warranty a good route? I know either way I have to have it painted and matched so thats another dent in the wallet. Anyway, all recommendations welcome.

Thank you very much and look forward to participating regularly here.

H

Attachments

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The pic is too dark for me to see anything more than it looking like that is just the upper area of the bumper skin you indicated.

The hood, if you need it painted anyway then why would you buy a replacement instead of painting the existing hood?? Either way it should come down to the quality of the paint job, how long it lasts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is another pic. The arrows are pointing to the small plastic grill I am talking about. It is inside the front bumper underneath the main grill with Ford logo.

The hood, if I have it fixed first from paint bubbling, and then have it repainted, the bubbling will happen again. It is a sign of corrosion/rust. That is why I was thinking about replacing the entire hood.

Best

Attachments

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I would expect that part to come from a dealer (who can look it up) or a junkyard, where you might be able to look up on a database if they have any compatible vehicles on their lot.

The hood probably didn't start to corrode until the paint failed, but bubbling is just a paint failure.

If you have to get ths done on your dime, there is no reason it can't be cleaned, primed, and painted. The end result will be the same as if you have a new hood painted, as long as the painter uses the right primer for aluminum, and when sanding the hood, is aware of the need with aluminum to use a softer abrasive that does not end up embedded in the aluminum.

There is nothing really resolved with a new hood, unless it has pitting and, fair enough you shouldn't have to have that present on a 2 year old vehicle.

On the other hand, you may be under a corrosion or other warranty and be able to get this fixed free from a dealer. I'm under the impression that does not end at the 36K mi mark so if the dealer you dealt with refuses to acknowledge this, you may need to find a different dealer or provide supporting evidence to that one. AFAIK it's 5 years unlimited mileage for this, but there is some debate about "perforation" being needed to qualify, yet some HAVE had their hoods replaced free from dealers after the 36K mark which is really just the powertrain warranty.

See this TSB and take it to the dealer with you, along with evidence of the longer warranty:
https://ford.oemdtc.com/1349/aluminum-body-panel-corrosion-appearing-as-bubbled-or-peeling-paint-2000-2016-ford-lincoln-mercury

See also this very long forum topic... it is 56 pages, maybe start at the end and work your way backwards. ;)

https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/hood-paint-bubble-issue-only.326943/

Reactions: Sanister
1 - 4 of 4 Posts