Explorer Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well tomorrow (monday) I will be making my way to the local body shop to get an estimate on monotoning my Explorer. They will also paint my EE airdam. We do a lot of business with them on miscellaneous things so I'm guessing I might be able to have my Explorer taken in sometime by the end of the week or definitely by the week after.

This is the same shop that just completely fixed my dad's Explorer, and he fixed the frame and all other necessary work in about two weeks tops. I used the same shop with my Explorer incident and it took a hell of a lot longer if memory serves me right, I know one thing and that is that I was without my Explorer for a month exactly.

Anyway so I'll let you guys know what the price is going to be and any thing else that comes up. It's about time my Explorer will get the monotone paint job and I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product. And once I receive my interior pieces back from Phoenix Imaging my Explorer is really going to rock!

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Wow that's great Rob!!! I really can't wait to see it finished. Hopefully it won't be horribly expensive. Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to let everyone know. I was able to get the other car's paint off mine, and the rear scratches came out thanks to some good wax and polishing. I also went to a local body shop today and he gave me some great advice for some products and methods to really restore my paint, and to get rid of or at least mask very well the swirl marks. He said in his professional opinion its not worth it, at least yet, to have the entire car paint redone. He's also going to get back to me on an estimate for all the body work and paint I'm going to have done, which includes:

- painting all exterior trim black

- painting front and rear bumper black

- painting and installing EE airdam black

- painting and installing EE X-Spec grille with center silver in color

- painting and fabbing front center bumper filler

Going to be incredible once its all done!

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Thats good news that you dont need to have it painted

It will look good with the monotone look and the EE items.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well guys I am getting an extra special lucky break here! I had a talk with my dad about the exterior paint and we agreed to have it completely repainted and clearcoated. So I am going to get all the work done at once!! I am going to split the costs of getting all the work done. Additionally, I am going to have them remove all the roof rack bases up top, fill in the holes and paint over it!

This is going to be one hell of a transformation. When it is done from in there, I will not recognize it whatsoever. Especially once my complete interior overhaul is complete. This is going to be better than a brand new car! I will also have them bolt down the hood scoop. I will also have them fix any imperfections in the car such as dings. Finally, I will have them color sand and buff the topmost clearcoat layer to have the mirror/glass effect dwtc recommended to me in another thread. Show quality is what I want, and this is going to be 110% worth it.

Wow...this is going to be incredible! I can't even tell you guys how pumped I am over all of this. As soon as it comes out of the shop I am going to take a LOAD of pictures! I will have a true Explorer X! I'm going back to the body shop TOMORROW for the whole rundown!

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Wow Rob that is wonderful!!!! Are you staying with black? Also, have you thought about having your hood scoop molded in so it's all nice and smooth with now gaps? That would be awsome. I also think it's great that you're getting it all done at the same time so you won't have to worry about the paint matching since it will all be from the same batch. Good luck and I absolutely cannot wait to see it!!!

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, I am going to stay black. Holy ****, great point about the hood! I will have it molded in. Great idea! This all won't be cheap, but at the sametime not too expensive either. Hopefully they can start it soon! They are a pretty busy shop but thats a good thing.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Man you are going to have a HOT ride once it's completed. I can't wait!! Also, my shop is always busy too and I agree, that is a good thing. Plus, when I get it done I can watch the progress of it online.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah at that point I truly will have one hell of an Explorer. It will totally be show-quality and one of a kind. I should probably try and get some sponsorships and/or maybe even shoot for a magazine??

I wonder how much all of this is going to cost. I'm going to guess $1600...

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Got my estimate today and WOW!!!! Net Total: $1,461.66 8O That is for mirrors and all. Higher than I thought. The bulk of it is the damn labor charge. $56 freaking dollars an hour. That's insane. And then with 21.4 units of labor that equals $1,198.40 in LABOR only!! The paint itself total is $263.26. But whatever I have to pay if I want it done. I'm going to refigure it out without hving the mirrors done and see how much less it is. Man I wanted to die when I saw the total. Oh well. I don't think I'll be getting it done this year.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Knocking off the mirrors won't take off much price wise. They are simple to remove, so you aren't paying a lot for labor there, and to smoothe them down and paint them is not that costly. I'd say maybe ~$200 tops.

That is a lot of money but it would certainly be worth it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Got my estimate today and WOW!!!! ?Net Total: $1,461.66 ?8O ?That is for mirrors and all. ?Higher than I thought. ?The bulk of it is the damn labor charge. ?$56 freaking dollars an hour. ?That's insane. ?And then with 21.4 units of labor that equals $1,198.40 in LABOR only!! ?The paint itself total is $263.26. ?But whatever I have to pay if I want it done. ?I'm going to refigure it out without hving the mirrors done and see how much less it is. ?Man I wanted to die when I saw the total. ?Oh well. ?I don't think I'll be getting it done this year.

Yup, I was figuring it was going to be about that much ... Im gonna get my car quoted sometime this coming week so we can compare prices.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Wow you're lucky Xchic. I would love to only pay for the $263 paint. I'm just going to have to wait a while for monotone but I will eventually have it.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Wow you're lucky Xchic. ?I would love to only pay for the $263 paint. ?I'm just going to have to wait a while for monotone but I will eventually have it.

I'm waiting too, but I will probably wait till the whole thing needs to be painted. A long time that is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts