Explorer Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one know what is behind the forward section of the center console? Such as vent pluming or is there just empty space?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Without having been back there myself, I can tell you there's enough room for an alarm system control unit, but not enough room for an aftermarket DVD player, which is a little smaller than a single DIN head unit

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thats how come mine ended up under the glove box, near the passenger's knee. Not ideal, but I didn't like how much abuse it would get under a seat, and I was running out of ideas. What kind of system are you trying to set up? Just rear seat DVD?

I put the aftermarket Clarion Pro Audio head unit in my dash, which has a 7" screen and DVD player built in. I then put in a second, Audiovox DVD deck (the one under the glove box), which adds capability for a separate DVD to run to the rear dop down screen, and also has the inputs for auxiliary (playstation, etc.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I have all Kenwood-LZ-800w screen, Z910DVD, 650d amp, door speakers, and a 12" sub. My X already has the stock rear dvd but I am planning on just havnt got the Kenwood NAV system. The reason I got this x was that a buddy is a sales manager and he drove it for 4500 miles and I got a really good deal on it. But I have all this stuff sitting in the corner waiting to be used

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
So, are you looking at mounting the 8" screen up high, where the stock head unit is, and then putting the Kenwood head unit down low in the console?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
That was the thought til you burst my little bubb :doh: le

:uhoh: Sorry 'bout that, chief!!

I'll tell you what. Your idea sounds like a great install, especially with navigation capability. I honestly don't know how much effort my shop went to when they told me it wouldn't work. You might want to look in to it a little more before you give up. I have not personally seen how much space is back there, and I'd have trouble sleeping at night if I found out you trashed your plan, and I was wrong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts