Explorer Talk banner

Changing Ford emblem color

4K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  jgt02expltd 
#1 ·
A while ago I saw an article on how to change the color of your Ford emblem to match your truck. The problem is, I can't remember where I saw it. I installed a speed grill yesterday (I'll post pics later) and I was thinking about color matching my emblem and putting it on the new grill. Does anyone have a link to that article?

Thanks
:

See less See more
#2 ·
Here's one thread about it from the FTW board:

http://ftw.truckmoxie.com/forums/topic.ten...168251&q=emblem

I tried it on mine, but apparently didn't heat it long enough, and I kind of messed it up. The really easy way to get one perfectly done, in the color of your choice, seems to be to buy it from this guy:

http://planetauto.homestead.com/

Or, depending on what color you're after, there are some nice billet replacements out. Flik has them, as well as some of the other internet outlets.

Good luck!! Post some pics of your speed grill. I have been thinking about getting them and would really like to see some pictures on a 3rd gen, and also find out how big a deal the install is.

#4 ·
Thanks for the links! I already have the front emblem removed, so I'll try doing it myself first. 50 bucks a pop seems a little steep.

And jgt02expltd, I had no idea what I was getting myself into as far as that install. What a pain. I'm still not finished with it totally, only because I'm not sure what to do next. I cut out the stock grill, grinded down the plastic, then installed the speed insert. The problem now is, I haven't painted the frame yet, and I like the way it looks chrome. I need to sand it and paint it, but I don't know which color since I like it the away it is now. (sigh)

It's installed on my truck now, and I'm going to leave it there until I figure out what I want to do with it.

I do LOVE the look though. I will post pictures tonight when I get home, and for some reason I can't connect through Sprint to at least put up a camera phone pic. :roll:

#5 ·
And jgt02expltd, I had no idea what I was getting myself into as far as that install. What a pain. I'm still not finished with it totally, only because I'm not sure what to do next. I cut out the stock grill, grinded down the plastic, then installed the speed insert. The problem now is, I haven't painted the frame yet, and I like the way it looks chrome. I need to sand it and paint it, but I don't know which color since I like it the away it is now. (sigh)

It's installed on my truck now, and I'm going to leave it there until I figure out what I want to do with it.

I do LOVE the look though. I will post pictures tonight when I get home, and for some reason I can't connect through Sprint to at least put up a camera phone pic. ?:roll:

I pulled up some installation instructions on the Speed Scene web site once, and it looked like it was a pretty involved process. I've got Carriage Works billet grilles now, which are easier than changing a light bulb. The whole existing grille comes out, and the billet goes in. Four little brackets, and two screws throught the top, and its done. But, like you, I really like the look of the speed grilles, and I may change mine out some time.

#8 ·
Thats actually the article I read before I did mine.

One thing you need to know, however - on newer models, the emblems are a little different. All of the chrome areas, the outline and the Ford script, are now part of the back piece, and don't come off. You can't slip a knife clear under it like in the pictures, the raised chrome rim will stop the knife. This is where I had the problem with mine - the knife marred the chrome piece, and since you really can't get under it very far, it will be very hard to get the "rubbery" overlay off without tearing it. Maybe, if you really heat the bejesus out of it, it will work. But be careful.

#10 ·
Wow I wanted to get one of the painted emblems already done but at $50 a pop that's a lot and I need 2 of them. Not to mention they don't even come in my paint code color.

#12 ·
Wow I wanted to get one of the painted emblems already done but at $50 a pop that's a lot and I need 2 of them. ?Not to mention they don't even come in my paint code color.
Hey Ryan, email the guy, tell him what your color code is. He was able to get my "platinum grey" even tho it's not on the list. and it matches perfectly. But it's called "dark shadow grey". He may still have a match for you...

#13 ·
If I want to get them eventually I may will contact them. I don't think I'm going to pay the $50 per emblem though. That's kind of a lot.

#14 ·
He is the same guy that I got mine from, he also got me a set for my friends Eddie Bauer in the desert beige and I got my Dad one for his Lightning, all of the emblems have looked real good, they are not cheap but the quality is good

#16 ·
I agree that $50 is very "a lot" for one emblem. But I was so excited for my first mod, I bought 2.
and then I spent $140 to get my "EXPLORER XLT V8" emblems black chromed like the Lexuses. <-- my 2nd mod...
the price of being custom i guess... :roll:

#17 ·
Sarek, isn't it wasting $50 for the front emblem considering you don't have a front one anymore?

#20 ·
those look nice. I think it looks best on black... I should have just bought 5 of those!

Was it sold to you from a private vendor? or does he have any left? So when i get my carbon fiber hood, when it's available for the 3rd gens in 2009, I can put these on to match...

Seriously tho If it's only $10, I want it.

#25 ·
Yup, you just carefully place the carbon fiber emblem decal on top of the existing emblem, make sure its aligned perfect before obviously...then just firmly press it down, and make sure its completely flat. And that's it. You don't even have to remove the emblem from your vehicle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.