Explorer Talk banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been sitting here at work thinking about this. Has anyone seen a kit, or even made a kit to get the air filter out of the engine compartment and get colder air? Something like the cold air kits that go through the fenderwell on Mustangs?

If you did make a kit, where did you run the intake tube to?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I know what your talking about but don't know where you would put it??

I would think somewhere under the headlights maybe to the opening in the bumber grille (but that'd be a long tube to fab up)????

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've seen some on sport tracs that people made. The ran to tube down to where it opened through where the factory fog light would have been (had he gotten that option). Since it is so low, he has a plug that he puts/keeps there just in case it rains or something like that. Another person ran the tube in front of the radiator and just behind the grill openings (being careful not to take TOO much air flow from the radiator). I forgot what kind of tubing that used. They decided that it may help a little bit because they were getting cooler air to the intake, but it wasn't enough difference to feel when you stomp the gas. But they did use cheap materials so it wasn't a huge loss and they figured they'd keep it for a while.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This will be another project for me...

·
Registered
34 Posts
It seems like the tubing was some sort of 4" (diameter) vent hose (if that helps). It was also flexible (not PVC piper or anything).

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure yet what I'll use to make the pattern out of. I have a friend in Atlanta that can bend large piping, so once I get the fab setup, I'll send it to him and have him bend a full piece the exact same way. I want the finished product to be smooth inside - even if I have to fiberglass a tube.

Man - I keep coming up with more projects and no time to get tehm done...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know what you mean man. I would like to make a cold air intake that the Mustang has, too bad you couldnt get a working hoodscoop. Let the air come in through that. I would like to make a project like that but due to the weather am unable to work on it.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Man - I keep coming up with more projects and no time to get tehm done... ?

And more damage to the bank!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
too bad you couldnt get a working hoodscoop. Let the air come in through that.

I have a hood scoop in the basement with all the other parts. It will be put on the first of spring, and will be functional. want to get the bumpers done, airdam finished, and hood cowls done - then all of that along with the hood and scoop are going to the painters - if not the entire truck...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And more damage to the bank!

I don't even want to discuss that part....

Between Phoenix Image, Explorer Express, and trying to find a decent speed shop in Salt Lake City(what they are going to charge?!?!), I am going ot have to quit spending and get to work on the 10+ projects sitting around the basement.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
If you're going to have a functional hood scoop, why can't you fab up something that runs to that? Sort of like a ram air, I guess.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One - the Eaton sits too high for me to be able to attach anything to the bottom of the hood (basically- no room). The other is because I want all the air coming in from the scoop to pass on each side of the engine helping to remove the hot air in the engine compartment itself. That Eaton puts off more heat than you know.

I want to make the intake tube go somewhere else to try and pull fresher air into the engine, while the scoop takes care of the air in the engine compartment...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
This idea has also crossed my mind and I've been thinking about making a custom airbox as well. Kind of like the Volant intakes...

And today I was looking in the fender trying to figure out a good place to run a tube to bring cold air up into the airbox like you were mentioning. Not much room but there is a little bit of space between the fender and frame where the airbox goes. I don't know how big of a tube we would need for cold air. I think a fiberglass tube that runs from the airbox down to the fog light opening might work. A hole would need to be cut out up by the intake but that isn't a problem.

Here is a rough sketch of what I am talking about. Just an idea.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Ted, doesn't Volant make cold air intakes for our Explorers?

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Ted, doesn't Volant make cold air intakes for our Explorers?

Volant doesn't make one for you guys. They do however for me. :)

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Damn. Cause I know they make them for Sport Tracs I believe and definitely 3rd generation Explorers. My friend has one in his (02 XLT).

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Damn. Cause I know they make them for Sport Tracs I believe and definitely 3rd generation Explorers. My friend has one in his (02 XLT).
As far as I know Rob MAC is the only one that makes a cold air intake for 3rd gen Explorer's. Unless they have come out with one in the past couple of months. We looked high and low for one for me forever and MAC was all that was available. Okay, at least here in California.

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
????

Well my best friend has a Volant in his '02...I helped him install it too
Thats why I was under the impression they had them for 2nd generation Explorers...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts