Explorer Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Exprlorer XLT 4L with 40,000 miles. I've noticed that when I first start it in the morning there is a distict noise that sounds like what a friend of mine called "cold engine slap". It goes away in about 45 seconds. Anyone heard of this? What is it?

·
Registered
19,808 Posts
Moved to 2nd generation Explorer forum.

As far as the noise, I've personally never heard of "cold engine slap" but can you describe what it sounds like? Is it a constant ticking in the engine or something?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not a tick, more like a metalic "clanking". Sounds like it's coming from the bottom of the motor. I haven't had a mechanic listen to it yet. I thought I might do some research before I bring it in.

G

·
um.....we use to have this but it was recalled, something to do with the cam idler pully....i don't know if this is ur problem, u might wana go to ford's site and look at the recall page...just to check it out.....

·
Registered
391 Posts
sounds like it may just be one of the heat shields on your downpipe (on the exhaust) is loose and is rattling. I had that problem on mine.... sounded like it was coming from where you are explaining. If it isn't that, the only other thing I could think it could be would be valve clatter, but your engine doesn't really have enough miles on it to where it should be doing that.

Hope That Helped a Little Bit.

--Ryan

·
Registered
155 Posts
There was indeed a recall for the chain tensioner on the V6 SOHC engines. It causes a noise when the engine is first started. I believe the recall was extended. You should contact a Ford dealer so they can run your V.I.N. number. They can immediately tell if you Explorer has had the recall done or not. If they give you the run around, get ahold of me. I have contacts at a Ford dealer that can run your numbers.

[email protected]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I Think I'll start with the possible recall thing and do some crawling underneath if the weather cooperates. Sounds like fun when it's dark and cold in the AM. Mabey it just needs COFFEE!

·
Registered
15 Posts
to be exact , if you have a SOHC motor TSB 00m12 and tsb 01m01 are both extended warranty coverage for the Timing chain and intake manifold gaskets which seem to be frequent problems with the SOHC motor. I had one motor blow up , and had my new motor at ford twice for them to finally nail it , took them over a month ! hopefully you will have better luck , but definatly get that fixed by them it shouldn't cost you a dime as this is their design flaw! they make the timing chain cassetes which is where the chain rolls through out of plastic , these pieces snap after a while causing the chain to flap and pieces of this end up down in your motor causing SERIOUS damage ! but if you catch it before this you should be ok!

goodluck!

Nick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
update- i've noticed that the cold engine noise is worse when i park overnight at a slight uphill angle than when i park on a level surface for 8-9 hours at work. any thoughts on that?

G

·
All the oil drains away from the cam chains, making them slap harder against the tensioners. My guess. But the only real way to tell what it is is go to the dealer and have them check it out

·
Registered
29 Posts
what is that clicking noise that the v8 makes? All of my friends that have them started to make that clicking noise after about 40.000 miles. Is it just valve clatter?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts